Former defense attorney claims Castro left kidnapped women means to escape
05/07/2014 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Cleveland – A former defense lawyer for Ariel Castro says the deceased man’s captives had been allowed to escape. As reported by the Associated Press (AP), attorney Craig Weintraub told WKYC in Cleveland that Castro left doors unlocked at the house intentionally months prior to the three women escaping.
Weintraub is quoted as stating, “He didn’t have the courage to go to the police department and surrender, and the only way this was going to happen is if he was negligent and allowed them to leave the house and be able to find a way out while he was gone a few hours.”
Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, who had been kidnapped on separate occasions between 2002 and 2004, were held captive by Castro for more than a decade. They were freed on May 6, 2013.
Castro, who was arrested and charged with multiple counts of kidnapping and rape, was sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years in prison. He committed suicide one month into his sentence.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children honored DeJesus and Berry on Tuesday in Washington, on the anniversary of their escape.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Cleveland Legal News
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401