Toddler Given Epilepsy Drug by Mistake at Colorado Springs Walgreens Pharmacy

04/13/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Colorado Springs, CO — A mix-up at a Colorado Springs pharmacy almost put a toddler in danger when his mother was given an epilepsy drug by mistake. The woman went to pickup Motrin flu medication on Monday, April 11, 2011, but instead she was given a powerful drug that could have seriously put the boy in danger, reported KDRO.

Kathy DeRosa went to the Walgreens pharmacy on Powers Boulevard and Constitution Avenue, when she was given her 2-year-old son’s prescription, with his name on the bag, along with the medical information for Motrin.

DeRosa noticed the medication bottle was smaller than usual, because she had picked up Motrin before. The pharmacy had given her levetiracetam, which has potential side effects of hallucinations, fever and a drop in white blood cell count. The epilepsy drug is not intended for children under four.

DeRosa notified the Walgreens pharmacy manager about the mistake, who then drove to her house to give DeRosa the correct medication. The manager apologized profusely and said the pharmacist would be disciplined for the mistake.

In a statement Walgreens told KRDO Newschannel13: “Prescription errors are rare and we take them very seriously….We have a multi-step prescription filling process with numerous safety checks in each step to reduce the chance of human error. We will investigate what happened and work to prevent it from happening in the future.”

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Colorado personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News