The Solomon Islands said on Tuesday an Australian offer to fund the next election was “inappropriate” and dismissed Canberra’s recent efforts to strengthen ties with the Pacific nation as they increasingly court Beijing.
In a statement, the Solomon Islands government accused Australia of trying to “interfere with MPs voting” on a forthcoming law that would delay national polls by seven months.
It comes after Solomon’s Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare signed a landmark security pact with Beijing in April that sparked intense diplomatic rows between China, the United States and their allies, including Australia.
Australia’s Foreign Minister Penny Wong unveiled the funding offer in an interview with ABC Radio on Tuesday morning.
With the vote to postpone an election already due on Thursday, the Solomons’ government took offense at the time, saying it was “about to respond when the Australian Foreign Secretary made an announcement to the Australian media”.
Sogavare has argued that the Pacific nation must delay the poll until after the 2023 Pacific Games is hosted because of high costs.
But critics have accused him of trying to “root out” democracy by rushing the bill through Parliament.
The Australian government has in recent months sought to reframe its relationship with Sogavare, who has drawn close to Beijing since violent unrest against his leadership erupted in the capital Honiara last year.
– “Historical Commitment” –
The Solomons’ government said it received Wong’s offer on September 1 and will officially respond after the election bill is dealt with.
While the amount offered by Australia was not disclosed, Sogavare’s secretary Jimmie Rogers previously told state broadcaster Solomons that the election would cost more than $49 million.
In her interview on Tuesday, Wong denied that Australia’s offer came in response to calls for support from the Solomon Islands opposition.
“(It) reflects our long-standing and historic commitment to supporting democracy and democratic processes in the Solomon Islands,” she said.
The bill to postpone the elections was “domestically controversial,” Wong added, “(but) that’s ultimately up to your parliament.”
She tried to quash suggestions that the funding was unusual, citing Australian support for Papua New Guinea’s recent elections.
The Australian government last week updated its travel advice for the Solomon Islands, warning citizens to exercise “a high degree of caution due to the possibility of further civil unrest” before voting on the election delay.
– ‘Sad moment’ –
Solomon Islands MP John Maneniaru said Tuesday he was “very disheartened” by Sogavare’s decision to speed up the election law and skip the consideration of its billing committee.
“It is indeed a sad moment for me. And for our democracy,” he said. “A conscious decision was made to invade our parliament and our democracy.”
Sogavare, a four-time prime minister, is expected to visit Australia soon, with talks on the timetable underway.
He recently accused Western media organizations in the Solomon Islands of “spreading anti-China sentiment.”
Sogavare’s office threatened to ban or deport reporters for “disrespectful and demeaning” reporting, and said some foreign media outlets were trying “to bring about regime change”.