A man will stand trial in London next year accused of illegally entering Windsor Castle armed with a loaded crossbow to harm Queen Elizabeth II, a judge said on Wednesday.
Jaswant Singh Chail, 20, was arrested in the grounds of the royal residence west of London on Christmas Day last year when the Queen was there.
He was arrested and charged with three offenses, including one under the 180-year-old Treason Act of “intent…to offend the person of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II or to alarm Her Majesty”.
When he was arrested, he is said to have told a security guard: “I’m here to kill the queen.”
In the last such case, Britain’s Marcus Sarjeant was sentenced to five years in prison in 1981 after pleading guilty to firing blank shots at the monarch during a parade.
Chail, who appeared before Central Criminal Court or the Old Bailey via video link, is also charged with making a death threat and possession of an assault weapon.
The unemployed former supermarket worker spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth. A hearing will be held in December.
Judge Nigel Sweeney set a provisional hearing date for March 20, 2023 and remanded Chail from Southampton, southern England.
Queen Elizabeth II died on September 8 at the age of 96 after a year of poor health.