Blockchain games will continue to exist, but will the industry face a shortage of talents?
Some people say that blockchain games will inspire the next wave of cryptocurrency adoption. Playing money-making games will definitely appear in headlines and conversations around the world. Are they close to mainstream adoption? Not at all. This industry has just begun, and there is still a long way to go. The company that makes the game is well-funded and makes incredible money. However, they don’t seem to have so many employees.
In addition to being an emerging industry, blockchain game production also requires a group of unusual talents. This provides great opportunities for young students and those who wish to transform and change careers. Since monetization is built in the ecosystem, blockchain games are likely to continue to exist. You can be a part of it. Let us look at the numbers and you will understand what we mean.
How big is the blockchain game market?
In his title “The beginning of blockchain games: from the crypto boom to the fun of decentralization,” author Joost Van Dreunen provided specific figures:
- How many people are playing? “The total target audience of blockchain games is still in its infancy. The total monthly active users of mobile, PC and consoles are 1.49 billion.”
- What equipment do they use? “The platform of choice is PC, which includes browser-based (40% of total games), Windows (16%) and Mac (6%) native clients, and Linux (3%)”
- Which blockchains do they interact with? “The most popular blockchain is WAX (36%), which is based on an aggregation of top titles organized by agreement. Ethereum (10%) is not so prominent.”
- However, “the success of Alien Worlds with 1 million users in August 2021 almost single-handedly explained the success of WAX.”
- “There is a huge difference in the popularity of top games: Alien Worlds has 59 times as many players as #15 Zoo – Crypto World.”
WAX price chart on Bitfinex | Source: WAX/USD on TradingView.com
What else do we know about the blockchain game market?
We have found more data for you, let us learn more about Unique Active Wallets, by Naavik’s blockchain game report:
- Believe it or not, “DappRadar pointed out that games accounted for more than half of blockchain wallet activity in the third quarter.”
- Not only that, “Blockchain game daily active wallets (UAW) averaged 1.2 million in October 2021, an increase of 44% over September.”
- Let us delve into these numbers. “The growth of UAW in the past month was mainly driven by the growth of Axie Infinity and Splinterlands wallet activity, which increased by 24% and 57%, respectively.”
- This reflects the previous report. “The monthly UAW top title Alien Worlds is 10 times more active than the tenth-ranked title Jelly Squish.”
- In September 2021, blockchain games have declined, but the numbers are again impressive. “The transaction volume in the third quarter of 2021 increased by 762% from the previous quarter to US$2.32 billion.”
What is all the noise about talent shortage?
The craziest statistic in the Van Dreunen report is the number of employees owned by the most successful companies in the field. Dapper Labs has 242 employees, Mythical Games has 123 employees, and The Sandbox has 94 employees. Projects that have been in the news have suffered the same fate, Decentraland has 52 employees, and Open Sea has 43 employees. In contrast, “Activision Blizzard’s 9,500 f/t employees”, Electronic Arts 11,000, Take-Two Interactive 6,495, Roblox 960. “
Although we can explain that the data shows that we are dealing with efficient companies, Van der Luening does not think so. “The number of top blockchain game developers increased by 102% year-on-year, indicating that talent is likely to become the main bottleneck in finding killer applications.” It may be so, but until NewsBTC publishes this news article. Young people who read this article will be aware of the huge opportunities it represents and will take appropriate measures.
Related Reading | Blockchain game lovers can now exchange ATRI tokens faster and cheaper
Keep in mind that in addition to in-game monetization, these companies continue to easily raise funds for new projects. This means that “in the short term, a large amount of investment funds will force companies to compete in recruiting experienced developers, engineers and manufacturers.” They would love to hire you. To acquire the necessary knowledge, the story has just begun.
Featured Image: Matryx on Pixabay | Charts by TradingView