General manager Marc Bergevin is defending the controversial selection of the Montreal Canadiens in Friday’s NHL entry draft.
A few days after the defender issued a statement on Twitter asking the team not to select him in this year’s draft, Habs selected Logan Mailloux with the 31st overall pick.
Mailloux’s statement came after news that he had been charged in Sweden for disseminating sexual photos without consent and paid a fine.
“Being elected to the NHL is an honor and privilege, and no one will take it lightly,” he wrote. “The NHL draft should be one of the most exciting milestones in a player’s career. Given this situation, I don’t think I have demonstrated the maturity or personality strong enough to win the privilege of the 2021 draft.”
The Canadians issued a statement shortly after announcing the draft, stating that the club “was aware of this situation and will never minimize the severity of Logan’s actions.”
“Logan understands the impact of his behavior. His recent public statement is a true recognition of his bad behavior and the first step in his personal journey,” the statement read.
“We are committed to providing Logan with mature tools and necessary support to guide his development and to accompany him on his journey. We are also committed to improving our players’ awareness of the impact of their actions on lives of others.”
“I know he regrets this incident”
Bergevin told reporters on Friday that Mailloux felt “remorse” and had apologized to the family involved.
“We will work closely with him to provide him with the support he needs. I know he regrets this incident, and we really don’t agree with this at all,” GM said. “But he is a young man who has made a serious mistake of judgment. We need to work with him. We did talk to him. He knows this very well and is very regretful. So this is a big improvement.”
Watch | What happened to Seattle’s draft expansion? :
Bergevin said that he knew that some people would not agree with Canadians’ decision to add Mailloux to their potential customer base.
“We understand and fully realize that as an organization, this is very unacceptable,” he said. “Also, this is a young man who made a terrible mistake. He is 17 years old, he is willing, he understands, he regrets, he has a lot of work to do, but he has started to forget it and start hockey. career.”
Mailloux played for the London Cavaliers of the Ontario Hockey League, but was loaned to SK Lejon in the third division of Sweden last season.
The 6-foot-3, 213-pound Blue player scored 15 points (7 goals, 8 assists) in 19 games against Lejón.
His statement stated that not being selected in 2021 will enable him to “show sufficient maturity and character with the London Cavaliers next season” and give the NHL team the opportunity to re-evaluate his skills before the 2022 draft. character.
The Cavaliers issued a statement earlier this month stating that the club is aware of “conditions” in Mailloux in Sweden.
“As far as we understand, the situation in Sweden has been resolved and the players have apologized,” it said. “The team members are working with Logan to ensure that he can get the support in place to help him better understand his actions, the consequences of their actions, and to ensure that this does not happen again. The team and [OHL] Will continue to monitor the situation closely. “
Montreal is emerging from Cinderella’s playoffs after sneaking into the playoffs with a record of 24-21-11.
The Hubble team proved to be a tenacious enemy. They sent the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round of the seven-game series, swept the Winnipeg Jets in the second round, and defeated the Vegas Golden Cavaliers in six games. Finally lost in five games against the Tampa Bay Chargers in the Stanley Cup final.
When the second round of the draft resumes on Saturday, Bergevin still has a lot of work to do. Montreal has the 63rd, 64th, 76th, 87th, 113, 126, 127, 142, 191, and 223 picks.
Guard Kaiden Guhle is the Habs No. 1 pick in the 2020 draft, ranking 16th overall.