Fourth Canadian victim identified in Florida apartment collapse
Nearly four weeks after the collapse of a 12-story apartment building in Surfside, Florida, which killed more than 90 people, the fourth Canadian victim has been identified.
Miami-Dade police told CBC News on Wednesday that 24-year-old Anastasia Gromova has been identified as one of the victims.
Gromova travels with her friend Michelle Pazos Also confirmed among the victims South Champlain Tower collapsed on June 24.
After the collapse, Gromova’s distressed family arrived from Canada and waited painfully for several weeks in Miami.
“It just made it real and difficult, but on a different level. At least we can move on now,” her sister Anna Gromova told The Associated Press, describing her sister as a fast falling Bright star. “We will always remember her.”
Her parents said that she is very smart, always smiling on the go, and not afraid of difficult challenges.
“It’s difficult because you know that loss can be prevented, but there is still nothing that can be prevented,” her sister said.
The judge outlines possible compensation
At the same time, a judge said on Wednesday that victims and families who suffered losses in the collapse will initially receive at least $150 million in compensation.
Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Michael Hanzman said at the hearing that the payment includes approximately US$50 million in insurance premiums for the Champlain Tannan Building and at least US$100 million in proceeds from the sale of the Surfside property where the structure was once located. .
“The court has always cared about the victims here,” the judge said.
He said the group includes tourists and renters, not just apartment owners.
“Their rights will be protected.”
The $150 million does not include any proceeds from numerous lawsuits that have been filed since the June 24 collapse, which resulted in at least 97 deaths. According to the judge, these lawsuits are being merged into a single class action, which, if they choose, will cover all victims and family members.
Hanzman said of the lawsuit: “There is no doubt that I will not let any stone go.”
Long recovery work
So far, 96 victims have been identified, many of whom used DNA analysis.
Relatives and friends of the three missing persons said they are waiting for news from relatives believed to be in the building, which means that the total death toll may rise to 98.
Officials have not announced the end of the restoration work.
According to a recipient who handled financial matters on behalf of the apartment board, under the close attention of investigators from the National Institute of Standards and Technology, the tragedy has completely cleared the debris-the agency is leading a federal investigation into the collapse. .
The recipient and lawyer Michael Goldberg said that the rubble believed that the key evidence was stored in a warehouse in the Miami area, and the rest was stored in a nearby open space.
He said all of these will serve as possible evidence for litigation and other expert review.
“Their report may take years to become public,” Goldberg said of the NIST investigation.
The building had just gone through a 40-year recertification process when it collapsed. Three years ago, an engineer warned that serious structural issues need to be paid immediate attention. Most concrete repairs and other work have not yet begun.