“None of us want this”: Sydney lockdown is extended again | Coronavirus pandemic news


The governor of New South Wales stated that the restrictions will continue until at least July 30 after 97 new local cases have been confirmed.

Authorities have extended the lockdown in Sydney for at least another 14 days because the COVID-19 outbreak continues even after the three-week restriction was imposed in Australia’s largest city.

New South Wales Governor Gladys Berejiklian said on Wednesday that after she announced 97 new locally transmitted cases, the restrictions will continue until at least July 30, slightly more than the previous day. increase.

“I appreciate that people feel stressed and upset about what is happening, including myself,” Berejiklian said.

“None of us want to be in this situation.

“We hope to get rid of this blockade as soon as possible, which is why we have the existing setup,” the state governor said.

Of the 97 new cases, 24 were infectious in the community. A total of 61 cases are related to known clusters and 36 cases are under investigation.

Authorities say that in the past 24 hours, more than 65,000 people have come for testing.

Berejiklian has repeatedly stated that the blockade, Effective from June 26, And will only be lifted when the number of newly reported cases spread in the community is close to zero.

As the highly contagious delta virus became popular, the harbor city of 5 million residents began to implement a two-week lockdown in late June.

Many non-essential businesses are closed, most students stay at home, and residents are only allowed to go out for necessary activities and exercises.

The number of hospitalization surged

Due to the outbreak in Sydney, 71 COVID-19 patients are now hospitalized, 20 of whom are in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU), one in their 20s and two in their 30s.

The Chief Health Officer of New South Wales said: “Yes, this is unlikely to cause hospitalization for young people, but it may still cause serious illness in the ICU, so it is important to protect yourself and your loved ones, so please follow public health advice.” Kerry Shant said.

The closure has now been extended twice After restrictions failed to contain the number of daily cases.

Authorities said on Wednesday that more than 65,000 people had come for testing in the past 24 hours [Brendon Thorne/AFP]

Since the first case was detected in the eastern suburbs of the city in mid-June, the total number of infections is currently slightly less than 900. According to reports, two people have died, this is the country’s first case this year.

According to a list of potential exposure sites published by health authorities overnight, the virus appears to have spread to previously unaffected areas of the city.

The epidemic has also spread to remote areas. A case was found in Goulburn, about 200 kilometers (125 miles) southwest of Sydney, and has crossed the border to Victoria. Three cases were reported on Tuesday.

Rapid lockdown, rapid contact tracing, and strict social distancing rules have helped Australia keep the number of COVID-19 below those of many other developed countries, with just over 31,300 cases and 912 deaths.

Slow vaccination schedule This means that less than 10% of the population has received two doses of the vaccine.

Authorities said on Wednesday that in New South Wales, health workers had received more than 2.7 million doses of the vaccine.





Source link