Reminder: SCOTUSblog is hiring a new blog administrator
July 9, 2021
SCOTUSblog is looking for a new blog administrator. We are looking for a smart and creative person who is fascinated by the Supreme Court and dedicated to producing incisive and fair legal news.
The blog manager works closely with the editor and deputy blog manager to plan and publish all the content of SCOTUSblog.This person also manages most aspects of the website-publishing articles, maintaining Statistics page Currently, updating Case page The moment the decision is made, brainstorming and implementing new digital functions, etc.Blog administrators sometimes report events related to the Supreme Court, such as Congressional hearing, Justice’s speech Or other topics of interest. The blogger works closely with dozens of law professors and lawyers to plan and organize SCOTUSblog’s award-winning case reports and seminars.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of the Supreme Court (or general law) and some journalistic experience. However, neither of these areas is strictly required. Candidates must be good at multitasking and work in a fast-paced environment-this job requires handling a large number of substantive and administrative tasks, usually within tight deadlines. Strong writing and editing skills are essential. The same goes for the laser-like attention to detail.
This is what you have to do:
- Coordinate case reports and seminars, including identifying potential contributors and communicating with authors on the publication schedule.
- Assist in editing articles, including copywriting of AP style and SCOTUSblog internal style guide, and substantive modifications to ensure that the article is written in easy-to-understand English
- Use WordPress to prepare articles and update the homepage, statistics page, calendar, all case pages and other aspects of the website.
- Cooperate with our third-party real-time blogging platform to build and run our popular opinion day real-time blog.
- Track statistics and create infographics.
- Occasionally write news articles, be able to take the initiative in a specific subject area and propose new reporting ideas.
- Manage contractors and vendors, including external web developers.
In addition to the above qualifications, we will pay special attention to candidates who have any of the following skills (though not required):
- Have a strong understanding of AP style.
- Have experience using WordPress and HTML.
- Network development experience.
- Data journalism or infographic experience, including knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite or similar design platforms.
- Have experience in social media promotion.
This is a full-time position with comprehensive benefits, including a 401(k) plan and premium health insurance with full premiums. The budget salary ranges from USD 53,000 to USD 65,000 and is commensurate with experience. The position is in Bethesda, Maryland, but we currently work mainly remotely.
SCOTUSblog is committed to recruiting people from different backgrounds and life experiences. Everyone is encouraged to apply.
The application deadline is July 16. To apply, please email [email protected] And include “blog administrator position” in the subject of the email. Include the following materials:
- cover letter.
- An unedited writing sample of no more than five pages.
- If you graduated within the past five years, you can provide an undergraduate transcript (unofficial is also possible).