14 days after the Florida apartment collapsed, there are no signs of survivors
The search for victims of the collapse of a high-rise apartment building in Miami entered its 14th day on Wednesday. The death toll reached three dozen, and more than 100 people are still missing. The voice of the authorities is getting more and more serious.
On Tuesday, workers dug powdered concrete where the Champlain Towers South in Surfside once stood, filled the barrels, which were uploaded from the assembly line to be emptied and returned.
The close observation of the search, the appreciation of the video released by the Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue Department, and the announcement of another 8 deaths-the highest number of deaths in a single day since the search began. Rain and wind from Tropical Storm Elsa also disrupted this effort, although the storm is expected to make landfall across the state.
The searchers found no signs of new survivors. Although the authorities stated that their mission is still to find people alive, it sounds increasingly gloomy.
“At the moment, we are in search and rescue mode,” the county police chief Freddy Ramirez said at a news conference on Tuesday night. He quickly added: “Our main goal now is to close the family.”
In the few hours since the building collapsed on June 24, many residents have fallen asleep, and no one has been rescued from the scene.
‘Not seeing anything positive’
County Fire Chief Allen Kominsky said searchers are still looking for any open spaces in the rubble where more survivors may be found.
“Unfortunately, we didn’t see anything positive,” he said.
The Mayor of Miami-Dade, Daniella Levine Cava (Daniella Levine Cava) said that the families of the missing persons are preparing for the “tragic loss” news. She said President Joe Biden, who visited the region last week, called on Tuesday to express continued support.
“I think everyone will be prepared as they enter the next stage,” she said.
On Tuesday, reporters conducted the closest field observation of the scene, although it was limited to the part of the building that workers demolished on Sunday after the initial collapse, making it standing but dangerously unstable. A pile of broken concrete and twisted steel bars is about 9 meters high and spans half the length of the football field. A pair of backhoes pulled rubble from a pile of rubble, blocking any view of the search job.
Search speed slows down due to weather
The inclement weather in Elsa hindered the search to a certain extent. Assistant Fire Chief Raide Jadallah said the lightning forced rescuers to suspend work for two hours earlier on Tuesday. Officials said the 32 km/h wind speed and stronger gusts hindered efforts to use cranes to move heavy debris.
However, the strongest wind and rain of the storm will bypass Surfside and neighboring Miami as Elsa weakens along its path and is expected to make landfall somewhere between Tampa Bay and Big Bend in Florida.
Kominsky said that staff had removed 112 tons of debris from the site. Officials said the debris is being sorted and stored in warehouses as potential evidence for investigating the cause of the collapse of the building.
Since the unstable remaining part of the building was demolished, workers have been released to a wider area to search.