Forest fires near the Cigar Lake uranium mine in northern Sask have not been controlled.

Forest fires near the Cigar Lake uranium mine in northern Sask have not been controlled.



Cameco reported that a forest fire broke out near its Cigar Lake uranium mine in northern Saskatchewan.

The company said in a statement that it has evacuated approximately 230 workers from the mine and approximately 80 people have remained on site to ensure that the facility is in a safe condition.

It says that fire is complicated and extremely warm, Dry weather caused by the heat dome Currently in Western Canada.

The production of the Cigar Lake Mine has been suspended. Cameco stated that if the threat of wildfires continues to increase, plans will be made to ensure the safety of workers there, and some preventive measures have been implemented. It said it is working closely with the Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency on the spot.

‘In case something happens. I love you’

Moriah Dyck heard from her fiance who was working on the site yesterday that a fire threatened the mine, and it started to look worrying.

“He didn’t know what would happen, followed by a long list of text messages and phone calls. Well, the phone calls had to stop because he couldn’t even breathe,” she said.

She said her fiance was a volunteer firefighter and voluntarily stayed behind, while the others were evacuated. They texted to keep in touch, and he texted her, “Just in case. I love you and our baby.”

This photo of heavy smoke from the fire was sent to Moriah Dyck, whose fiance was a volunteer firefighter working at the scene. He is one of 80 people who stayed to help ensure the safety of the facility. (Submitted by Moriah Dyck)

“They are surrounded and unable to enter the water,” Dyke said. “They tried to call a helicopter or a radio helicopter.”

The mine was closed at around 5:10 pm Eastern time. She said that around 6:15 pm Central Time, five water bombers arrived to help.

“They just didn’t stop for a few hours, a few hours, a few hours, a few hours. Then, unfortunately, [his] The mobile phone died in all this. I didn’t hear from him until nine o’clock this morning,” Dyke said.

“I thought he was dead almost all night,” Dyke said.

On June 30, the flames were taller than the trees in northern Saskatchewan. (Submitted by Moriah Dyck)

It was a long night, but her fiance sent her a text message after charging her phone this morning, and she said that the battle is still going on today.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, which oversees the mine, said on Twitter that it is monitoring the situation and will provide updated information.

The province stated that there are currently 19 active fires. Five were not controlled, including the Collins fire near the Cigar Lake mine.


Source link

More to explorer