The accused neo-Nazi Patrick Matthews pleads guilty to weapon charges and destroys evidence

Patrik Mathews-a former Manitoba Army Reserve soldier, allegedly recruited by a neo-Nazi organization-changed him in a number of different charges in Maryland and Delaware, USA Confession.

On Thursday, the 28-year-old man appeared before the U.S. District Judge Theodore Chuang to plead as part of the agreement. His lawyer detailed his cooperation with the white supremacist organization The Base and his alleged crimes.

Zhuang asked: “What the government said you did, did you do it?” Matthews hesitated, and then replied, “Yes, sir.”

When asked how he admitted to the allegations of illegal possession of guns, illegal possession of machine guns, possession of unregistered machine guns and sabotage of mobile phones in the country, Matthews quietly said “guilty” as part of a federal investigation.

May be sentenced to long-term imprisonment

For each of the first three charges, he will face up to 10 years in prison, and face up to 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000 for destroying mobile phone evidence.

“Today’s confession shows [Mathews] Willing to support extremist activities,” Rachel Bird of the FBI said in a press release issued by the U.S. Department of Justice.

“This investigation and guilty confession highlights the continuing threats we face from domestic extremist organizations.”

Just a few months ago, Matthews pleaded not guilty for these crimes.

He was accused of working as a recruiter for The Base in Manitoba before entering the United States in 2019.

Prosecutors stated in court documents that Matthews recorded a video of himself advocating killing, poisoning water supply and derailing trains to incite civil war in the name of creating a white “nation-state.”

When searching the apartment that Matthews shared with one of the defendants in the same case, law enforcement officers found videos of him making violent, anti-Semitic and racist remarks, including him wearing a gas mask and trying to distort his voice. (Memorandum on Detention of U.S. Attorneys)

He was arrested in Maryland in January 2020, charged with entering the United States illegally, and charged with crimes under the plea agreement.

He was also charged with two counts of felony with intent to transport firearms across states, and he also pleaded guilty.

Mom hopes son will get help

Matthews was also arraigned on Thursday for alleged crimes committed in Delaware.

He was charged with illegal entry into the country with a gun, possession of a machine gun, and cross-state transportation of guns and ammunition with intent to commit a felony and obstruction of justice.

Matthews pleaded guilty to all charges except the machine gun charges.

In April, Matthews was also charged with gross cruelty to animals and theft of livestock for the beheading of goats or rams in a pagan ceremony held during a paramilitary training camp in Georgia.

Matthews’ mother, Kim Munk, said that after a Winnipeg Free Press reporter sneaked into the base and confirmed that he was a member of the organization, she hoped her son would be helped.

“He needs a lawyer, he needs a psychiatrist, a psychologist. He needs a group of people to listen to the reasons for his involvement,” she said from her home in rural Manitoba.

She said she hoped that he would now be helped by confessing his guilt.

Plea agreement details crimes

Matthews’ plea agreement details his flight from Manitoba after being reported by the Winnipeg Free Press.

After Matthews crossed the border illegally, he avoided the authorities in Virginia and Georgia and participated in various training camps organized by the base.

A few months later, Matthews and another member of the base bought an apartment in Delaware. There, he learned how to assemble guns through online videos and discussed with his roommates how to complete the assembly.

On January 1, 2020, Matthews (left) and co-defendant Brian Lemley (Brian Lemley) appeared on video surveillance of a store in Delaware. They purchased about 150 bullets and paper shooting targets. (Memorandum on Detention of U.S. Attorneys)

FBI agents saw Matthews holding the gun at a public gun range in Maryland. He was seen shooting in January.

Only a few weeks later, the federal arrest warrant was issued, and Matthews smashed his cell phone and threw it into the toilet to hide the evidence.

These details were announced in court on Thursday, and Matthews said he agreed with the statement of facts.

Another co-conspirator, William Garfield Bilbrough (William Garfield Bilbrough) previously admitted to conspiring to transport and harbor an alien-Matthews-and was sentenced to five years in federal imprisonment.

Matthews’ co-defendant Brian Lemley also pleaded guilty to multiple charges in Maryland and Delaware on Thursday afternoon, including providing guns and ammunition to illegal foreigners and transporting guns across states. And ammunition to commit criminal acts. Serious crimes and obstruction of justice.

Lemley and Mathews will continue to be detained until the sentence is pronounced on October 28.

Source link