“False and slanderous”: Kenny sends a cease and desist letter to the Alberta News Media


Alberta Governor Jason Kenney has issued a stop order to a Calgary-based news outlet Because his lawyer called it “false and defamation allegations” in a recent article.

The letter from the lawyer obtained by CBC News concerns an article published on Wednesday by the Western Standards website, which claims that Kenny has held a social gathering at Bottega 104 restaurant in Edmonton since the New Year, violating COVID-19 restrictions.

The gatherings allegedly included Environment and Parks Minister Jason Nixon and Health Minister Taylor Sandro.

The article also alleged that Kenny and others attended a party at a private lobbyist’s house..

This article is based solely on the unnamed sources of the parties who are said by Western standards.

Kenny’s office denied the allegations via Twitter on Wednesday. CBC News has not yet verified the authenticity of the allegations.

According to lawyer Steven Dollansky in the letter, these allegations are “completely fabricated.”

“Prime Minister Kenny, Secretary Nixon and Secretary Sandro did not attend any indoor dinner at Bottega 104 (or any other restaurant), and indoor dining is subject to public health restrictions.”

It said that the Prime Minister had eaten two meals at Bottega 104, one in 2019 and one in last summer, in full compliance with health orders.

“In addition, none of the elected officials you mentioned has participated in any’illegal gatherings’ held in the private residences of the lobbyists as alleged, or did not participate in any’illegal gatherings’ at all.”

The restaurant’s managing partner also denied these allegations.

“The report is false, and the Prime Minister has never eaten here,” Antonio Petossa told CBC News. “I talked to a reporter from the Western Standard and told him the same thing. Our lawyer will contact him.”

Petossa said that if the so-called date of the rally is given, he can provide security camera footage to prove that the prime minister is not present. The article did not specify the date.

Kenny Apologized earlier this week After he and others were photographed dining on the outdoor terrace of the Alberta Legislative Grounds. Kenny admitted that people were sitting too close.

Western standards supporting articles

The cessation and termination letters also claimed that Western Standards’ actions were irresponsible because the article did not seek or include Kenny’s response.

His office stated that it does not have the records required by Western standard media. The publication stated that it asked for comments at 5:49 pm. This article was published seven minutes later.

The letter read: “Pure speculation is not news, and unconfirmed gossip is not news.” It called the article “just a sensational politically popular article designed to promote page impressions and commercial profits.”

This letter called on Western Standards to immediately delete the article and any related tweets, issue a written withdrawal statement, apologize to the Prime Minister and the people mentioned in the article, and stop publishing any further defamatory content related to the statement or article.

Western standards insist that this story is accurate.

“We stand by our story. We have multiple reliable sources and they gave us the same statement in detail,” publisher and CEO Derek Feldbrandt told CBC News.

“We believe that the best way to deal with this story is to answer questions from our reporters, rather than trying to silence an independent media agency that does not accept federal media subsidies. They know they have much more resources than us, and they want this. Let it disappear. We are retaining lawyers and will make further statements in the future.”

Fildebrandt withdrew from the Alberta United Conservative Caucus in 2017, causing controversy, including being convicted of hit and run, accused of illegal hunting, and renting out his apartment on Airbnb, while applying for housing allowance as an MLA.

After being elected as the leader, Kenny stated that after Fieldbrand “deliberately misled” the party on his legal issues, he would not be welcomed in the UCP caucus, nor would he be allowed to seek a party in his constituency. Nominated within. Fildebrandt ran for the election as an independent, but was defeated by the UCP candidate.

The two diverged on the details that led to the decision. Fieldbrandt claimed that Kenny had told him privately that he could rejoin the party and omitted the facts in a public statement at the time. Kenny said that Feldbrandt was told that he needed the support of the caucus to become a member again and needed to ensure that “there were no outstanding moral or legal issues that could embarrass him or the party.”



Source link