WHO says it cannot force China to provide more information about the origin of the new coronavirus coronavirus pandemic news
A senior official of the World Health Organization stated that the World Health Organization cannot force China to disclose more data on the origin of COVID-19, adding that it will propose the necessary research to understand the “new level” of where the virus came from. .
When asked by reporters how the WHO will “force” China to be more open, Mike Ryan, director of the agency’s emergency program, said at a press conference that “WHO has no right to force anyone in this regard.”
“We fully look forward to the cooperation, input and support of all our member states in this regard,” Ryan said on Monday.
There are conflicting theories that the virus may have jumped from animals to humans from bats, or escaped from a laboratory in Wuhan, China.
This Wuhan Laboratory Leakage Theory The virus has recently become the subject of a new round of public debate after several well-known scientists called for a full investigation of the origin of the virus.
In the early stages of the coronavirus outbreak, scientists largely ignored the assumption that the virus was accidentally leaked from the laboratory. China has repeatedly denied that the laboratory is responsible for the epidemic.
Members of the WHO team who visited China earlier this year to find the origin of COVID-19 said they were unable to obtain all the data, which sparked an ongoing debate about transparency in the country.
Former US President Donald Trump and his supporters have been exaggerating conspiracy theories that China deliberately leaked the virus.
The then US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo insisted last year that there was “important evidence” that the virus came from a laboratory, but did not release any evidence and admitted that it was uncertain.
“Dual track pandemic”
At the same time, the head of the WHO called on COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers to first reject the new dose of COVAX, the global vaccination plan, or use half of its production for WHO-supported initiatives.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at the media briefing Lamenting the inequality of COVID-19 vaccines He said that this caused a “dual-track epidemic,” Western countries were protected, while poorer countries were still exposed, and he appealed again for donations.
He expressed disappointment that some poor countries have not been able to immunize their health workers, the elderly and other people most vulnerable to severe COVID-19 disease.
Tan Desai told reporters: “We are seeing more and more dual-track pandemics: Many countries are still facing extremely dangerous situations, and some countries with the highest vaccination rates are beginning to talk about ending restrictions”, adding that vaccine sharing is important for ending The epidemic is crucial. “The acute phase of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
-World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) June 7, 2021
The head of the WHO stated that six months after the first coronavirus vaccination, high-income countries have received “nearly 44% of the world’s vaccines.”
“Low-income countries manage only 0.4%. The most frustrating thing about this statistic is that it hasn’t changed for months.”
Tan Desai called on a global effort to vaccinate at least 10% of the population of all countries by September and at least 30% of the population by the end of the year.
This will require an additional 250 million doses by September, and 100 million doses in June and July alone.
“This weekend, the leaders of the Group of Seven nations will hold an annual summit,” Tedros said. “These seven countries are capable of achieving these goals.
“I call on G7 to not only promise to share doses, but also to share them in June and July,” he said.
“I also call on all manufacturers to give COVAX the priority to reject the new quantity of COVID-19 vaccine, or to commit 50% of its production to COVAX this year.”
COVAX was established to ensure the fair distribution of vaccines, especially to low-income countries, and has provided more than 80 million doses of vaccines to 129 regions.
But the World Health Organization says this is about 200 million doses lower than the dose it hopes to achieve.
To make vaccines eligible for COVAX, they need to be approved by the World Health Organization and get their emergency use list status.
So far, the United Nations health agency has approved vaccines produced by AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm and Kexing.