New Brunswick police officer shot and killed Chantel Moore and will not be prosecuted

Prosecutors announced on Monday that the Edmonton police who shot Chantel Moore in New Brunswick last year will not face criminal charges.

The New Brunswick Attorney’s Office said In the press release According to the evidence, there is no reasonable possibility of conviction.

The 26-year-old man from Tla-o-qui-aht, a native of British Columbia, was shot and killed by a police officer during a health check on June 4, 2020.

The press release stated that the police officer believed that Moore used force or threats of force against him and that he shot her in self-defense, and his behavior was reasonable in this case.

According to the Criminal Law, the police can use lethal force to defend themselves or others, or it is reasonable to use force under certain circumstances. The factors that determine whether force is reasonable include whether a person has weapons and whether he has other means of defense.

At a time when police use of force is increasingly concerned, Moore’s death has attracted national attention and prompted a call for a provincial investigation into systemic racism in the justice system.

Moore recently moved from Vancouver Island to a city in northwest New Brunswick to get closer to her young daughter Gracie and her mother Martha Martin.

Watch | Chantel Moore’s mother said when seeking police responsibility for her daughter’s death:

The Civil Prosecutor’s Office of New Brunswick met with the Moore family in Chantel on Monday to share the findings of the Quebec investigator investigating the shooting. Any accusation depends on the prosecutor. 1:03

After Moore’s death, the Quebec police supervisory agency, the Independent Investigation Agency (BEI), was asked to investigate the police officer’s actions last year.

The announcement on Monday came after the prosecutor and Moore’s family met to discuss the results of the BEI investigation. The prosecutor also released a 22-page analysis of the evidence in the case, which was written by Patrick Wilbur, director of the St. John’s District Public Prosecution Service.

Evidence includes video of police dash cams, surveillance videos of retail locations, witness statements, police statements, and reports related to police officers’ guns and a knife found at the scene.

There is no video showing the shooting because the Edmonston police did not have a camera with them.

Also checked the information on Moore’s phone, including social media messages.

The police responded after worrying news

Crown’s analysis stated that at 2:06 am on June 4, Moore’s ex-boyfriend called the police in Edmonston, Quebec, because he received a message from her Facebook account on June 3 and worried about her health. . A message indicated that someone was watching Moore sleeping.

Witnesses and evidence show that Moore had been drinking with friends that night. A neighbor asked them to keep the noise down.

After the police received the call, a police officer came to Moore’s apartment and walked along the external stairs to the balcony entrance. According to official analysis, another police officer was waiting in a police car.

A neighbor told investigators that he heard a bang, looked out, and saw the police officer holding a flashlight outside Moore’s apartment.

Officer, his name is Const. According to documents obtained by CBC News earlier, but known as the first police officer in the analysis, Jeremy Sun told investigators that he had recognized Moore in a previous encounter when Moore had forgotten her The key broke into her mother’s house. He said he illuminated the word “police” on his uniform with a flashlight.

The official told investigators that he was surprised to see Moore taking something from the kitchen counter. He said that when she approached the door, she looked “frowning and angry.”

The officer drew his pistol and stepped back to the left instead of the stairs. The officer told investigators that Moore came out of the apartment with a knife in his left hand and said nothing in his direction.

According to the report, the police officer spoke to Moore in French and told her to put down the knife. Witnesses said they heard something, but she continued to walk towards him and forced him to the third floor balcony.

“Fearing that she would hurt or kill him, Officer No. 1 said he fired until the threat ceased,” according to the summary of the officer’s statement.

The police officer told investigators that he retreated to the balcony railing, feeling that he had nowhere to go. (Radio Canada)

The officer does not have a taser

The officer was an Edmonston police instructor who used force for two years and fired four shots.

He is also equipped with pepper spray and batons, but no taser. The report said that there is usually a police officer carrying a taser on every shift, but he did not have it that night.

According to the analysis, the police officer told BEI investigators that he regretted backing to the left instead of backing toward the exit route.

“He admitted that if he did, the sequence of events might have different results,” it said.

The autopsy confirmed that Moore died of gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen, resulting in extensive internal organ injuries.

“Ms. Chantel Moore’s death is deeply regrettable, but because she was severely affected by alcohol, coupled with her behavior, especially waving a knife to leave her residence, she steadily rushed towards the 1 police officer who was restricted from movement. The space on the balcony on the third floor did not respond to his clear order to put down the knife,” Royal Prosecutor Wilbur said at the end of the report.

The police officer was suspended for three weeks and then returned to administrative duties.

Moore’s family considers the next step

TJ Burke, a lawyer representing Moore’s family, said in a statement that the family had spent a long year while they were waiting for the results of the investigation.

“Now that we have more facts and a better understanding of the evidence, including personal statements by intervening officials, we will review our choices with our clients and determine our clients’ next actions,” Burke said.

Moore was one of two indigenous people who were shot dead by police in New Brunswick in June last year.

On June 12, 2020, 48-year-old Rodney Levi from Metepengiag First Nation was shot and killed by the RCMP when he responded to a call for help about 30 kilometers southwest of Miramichi on June 12, 2020. The prosecutor chose not to prosecute the police officerAccording to the evidence, the official’s behavior is legal.

Rodney Levi, 48, was shot and killed by the New Brunswick Royal Mounted Police in June 2020. (Submitted by Tara Luis Paley)

The provincial government announced a coroner investigation a few days after Moore’s death. It is scheduled to begin in the Edmundston area on December 6.

A separate investigation is also planned in October to examine the cause of Levi’s death.

The trial is quasi-judicial and will check the death of a person. Then, the jury made recommendations on how to avoid similar deaths in the future.

Source link