Brazil COVID investigators urge to postpone the Copa America | Coronavirus pandemic news


The staff of the Senate committee recently expressed concern about holding a game in Brazil during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Brazilian Senate investigating the country’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic has called for the postponement of the upcoming Copa America football tournament on the grounds Low vaccination rate and risk of spreading the virus.

In a letter to the country’s football team on Sunday, the staff of the Senate committee stated that as of Friday, only 10.77% of the population across Brazil had received the first dose of the coronavirus vaccine.

Senate committee in late April Investigate According to data from Johns Hopkins University, far-right President Jair Bolsonaro’s approach to the pandemic has caused more than 472,000 deaths across South American countries.

“Brazil does not provide sanitation guarantees for holding international competitions of this scale. In addition to conveying a false sense of security and normality, contrary to the reality of Brazilian lives, this will encourage people to gather and set a bad example,” the staff member said in the letter.

“We are not against the America’s Cup in Brazil or anywhere else. But we believe that the game can wait until the country is ready to host it.”

The staff is up to date Raise concerns Regarding the plan to hold an international championship in Brazil, because the vaccination rate is still low and public health experts have caveat Regarding the potential new wave of infections.

Brazil is Accidental choice Last week, the South American Football Federation CONMEBOL hosted the America’s Cup. Ongoing social unrest And co-hosted Argentina was excluded from Coronavirus infection rate soars.

Bolsonaro is a COVID-19 skeptic who has rejected calls for public health measures Such as blocking In order to prevent the spread of the virus, Say “It depends on me and all ministers, including the Minister of Health, have decided.”

But as to whether the game will continue, some players and coaches have raised concerns.

On Wednesday, Argentine coach Lionel Scaroni stated that “Brazil is not the best place”, while Chile’s Uruguay coach Martin LaSalte described the decision to play in Brazil as “a huge risk”.

The World League Forum (WLF), which represents more than 40 professional leagues and their clubs, also stated in an open letter to FIFA and the South American Football Federation (CONMEBOL) on Saturday that South American players should be allowed to opt out of the game in the game.

The protest banner read:’We don’t want cups, we want vaccines! Bolsonaro outside the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 2 [Pilar Olivares/Reuters]

Despite this, Argentina said on Sunday that it will participate in the tournament scheduled to be held from June 13 to July 10.

The Argentine Football Association (AFA) stated in a statement that Argentina “confirmed its participation in the Copa America??, which is reflected in its historical sportsmanship.”

The AFA added that it will provide all the “necessary tools to guarantee specific care” needed to meet the health agreement during the Copa period.

At the same time, Brazilian media reported Say This week, the country’s players don’t want to compete in a hurriedly scheduled game, and they are busy qualifying for next year’s World Cup.

Brazil team captain Carlos Casemiro said the team will issue a statement on Tuesday stating whether they want to participate in the Copa America??.





Source link