Al Jazeera reporter left hospital the day after being arrested in Israel | Conflict News

Al Jazeera Arabic reporter Givara Budeiri left the hospital on Sunday after being injured during treatment Arrested by the Israeli army the day before.

On Saturday, Boudari was arrested while reporting a demonstration in the Sheikh Jala community in occupied East Jerusalem. Her left hand was fractured.

The Israeli police also destroyed equipment belonging to Al Jazeera photographer Nabil Mazzawi. Her arrest has aroused strong condemnation from press freedom advocates and media watchdogs.

The Jerusalem journalist of the Doha-based media network was accused of assaulting a female police officer without showing her credentials, which she and Al Jazeera strongly denied. Israel’s allegations also contradict the footage of Boudari’s arrest.

Buderi told Al Jazeera: “I am trying to get better, but they broke my hand and I spent the night in the hospital.”

She said that she had bruises, headaches, back and leg pain in several other parts of her body, and it was difficult to walk.

Since 2000, Boudari has been working as a reporter for Al Jazeera. When she was arrested, she was wearing a body armor marked “news” and held an Israeli Government Press Office (GPO) card.

Boudari is reporting a sit-in commemorating the 54th anniversary of Naksa, or “setback,” when Israel occupied East Jerusalem, the West Bank and the Palestinian territories in the Gaza Strip in 1967, a move that was not recognized by the international community.

For weeks, Sheikh Jarrah has also been the focus of protests to support Palestinian families facing violence in the community. Threat of forced eviction Make way for Jewish settlers.

Budeiri said that when she was taken to the police station, she was “treated as a criminal.” During the hours of detention, she was prohibited from taking off her heavy body armor or closing her eyes when she felt tired.

“We will let you shut up… If we let Al Jazeera remain silent, everyone will shut up,” Boudari quoted an Israeli police officer during her detention.

Like many others, she said that she was just “reporting the reality on the ground” and the reporters were “telling the world what happened here.”

“The microphone and camera will stay…nothing can stop us,” she added.

Israel “loses the media war”

Reporters Without Borders (RSF) spokesperson Sabrina Bennoui said the arrest was “a clear violation of press freedom.”

“The Israeli authorities have a clear intention to prevent journalists from working and reporting on the ground,” she said.

Meanwhile, in the occupied West Bank city of Ramallah, a rally in solidarity with Palestinian journalists attacked by the Israeli authorities was held on Sunday afternoon.

Al Jazeera’s Nida Ibrahim reported from Ramallah: “Some speakers here feel that Israel deliberately targeted these journalists because they showed the world what is happening under occupation. reality.”

“They feel that Israel has been losing the media war because they feel that it has been exposed-its measures, its irregularities-which is why they are trying to shut up journalists.”

On May 15, an Israeli aid raid Destroyed a tower During the 11-day bombing of coastal enclaves, media offices of Al Jazeera, Associated Press and other media were set up in the Gaza Strip

According to Reporters Without Borders, at least 14 Palestinian journalists have been arrested and administratively detained by the Israeli army in recent weeks.

Several Palestinian journalists with media cards were barred by Israeli police from entering Sheikh Jalah. They claimed that they needed a GPO card.

On Sunday, the Israeli police The arrested activists Mouna Kurd and Mohammed Kurd, The twins have been at the forefront of the movement to prevent the forced deportation of Palestinian families from Sheikh Jarrah.

Mohammed al-Kurd and his sister supported the three-month-old #SaveSheikhJarrah social media campaign.

Source link