More than 100 civilians killed in attack on Burkina Faso village
The government said on Saturday that gunmen killed at least 100 people in a village in northern Burkina Faso, the deadliest attack in the country in years.
Government spokesman Ousseni Tamboura said in a statement accusing the militants that the attack took place in the village of Solhan in the Sahel’s Yagha province on Friday night.
He said that the local market and several houses were also burned down near the Niger border.
The President of Burkina Faso, Roch Marc Christian Kabore, described the attack as “barbaric.”
Heni Nsaibia, senior researcher at the Location and Incident Data Project of Armed Conflict, said this was the deadliest attack in Burkina Faso since Burkina Faso was occupied by militants associated with Al Qaeda and the Islamic State about five years ago. event.
“It is clear that the militant groups have stepped up to exacerbate the situation in Burkina Faso and transfer their efforts to areas outside the direct range of the French-led anti-terrorist coalition fighting them in the border areas of the three countries,” he Say. Say.
No organization claimed responsibility for the attack.
Although there are more than 5,000 French troops in the Sahel, radical violence is still increasing. In one week in April, more than 50 people were killed in Burkina Faso, including two Spanish journalists and an Irish environmentalist. More than 1 million people in the country have been internally displaced.
A local, who asked not to be named, was worried about his safety and was visiting relatives at a medical clinic in the town of Seba, about 12 kilometers away from the location of the attack. He said he saw many wounded enter the clinic.
“I saw 12 people in one room and about 10 people in the other room. There are many relatives taking care of the wounded. There are also many people running from Sol Khan to Seba… People are very scared and worried,” he told The Associated Press presses the phone.
The government announced 72 hours of condolences.
United Nations provides support
Stephane Dujarric, spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, said that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was angry at the killing and told the authorities Fully support the authorities in overcoming the threats to the peace and stability of Burkina Faso.
“He strongly condemned the heinous attacks and emphasized that the international community urgently needs to redouble its support for member states to combat violent extremism and its unacceptable casualties,” Dujarric said in a statement.
Extremists are increasingly launching attacks in Burkina Faso, especially in areas bordering Niger and Mali.
Last month, gunmen killed at least 30 people in eastern Burkina Faso near the Niger border.
Burkina Faso’s poorly equipped army has been working hard to contain the spread of militants. The government recruited volunteer fighters to help the army last year, but these volunteers were retaliated against by extremists who targeted them and the communities they helped.
Mali is also experiencing a political crisis that has led to a suspension of international support.
France has stated that it will cease joint military operations with the Malian army until the military government of this West African country complies with international requirements and resumes civilian rule.