Britain violates the law by resettling refugees under “dirty” conditions: Court | Court News


Refugee advocates welcome the High Court’s ruling on Napier Barracks in southeast England.

The High Court ruled that the British Conservative government violated the law when placing asylum seekers in overcrowded and “dirty” abandoned military camps.

Six asylum seekers filed a lawsuit against the government of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, claiming that the conditions of the Napier barracks “posed a real and immediate risk to life and abuse.”

On Thursday, Judge Thomas Linden ruled in favor of these people, arguing that the location could not ensure “enough to maintain a healthy standard of living for the claimant”.

Linden said the facility was “dilapidated,” noisy and overcrowded, and “the mental health of some residents has been compromised.”

“As long as the defendant believes that the accommodation conditions are sufficient to meet their needs, this view is unreasonable.”

Hundreds of immigrants and refugees who arrived in the UK after crossing the English Channel in small boats have been sent to Napier Barracks Since September, in southeast England, despite warnings from public health authorities, the facility is not suitable.

A refugee charity stated that residents of the camps face a “severe cold” environment in the winter. The government stated that during the outbreak earlier this year, nearly 200 people tested positive for COVID-19. In January, riots and fire broke out at the facility.

‘A life gamble’

Judge Linden also questioned the “detention-like” environment because residents should live there voluntarily when processing asylum applications.

“When this was taken into consideration, it was decided that accommodation in a detention-like environment-a place surrounded by a perimeter fence with barbed wire, accessed through a padlocked door guarded by uniformed security guards-would be sufficient to meet their needs. It seems to be problematic at first,” he said.

Refugee rights advocates welcomed the ruling, which may now lead to a claim for damages against Priti Patel, the Secretary of the Interior.

Marianne Kempel Hardy of Refugee Action said: “This verdict proves the correctness of all those who have repeatedly told the government to recklessly force hundreds of refugees into crowded camps during the deadly pandemic as a gamble on people’s lives. Sex.” “Napier Barracks and all other camp-style accommodation must be closed.”

The judge refused to rule that military camps should never be used to house asylum-seekers, but stated that “the conditions there need to be substantially improved and the number of asylum-seekers living there is much smaller”.

After the ruling was made, the Ministry of the Interior stated that the barracks had undergone a “major improvement project” and would continue to be opened to “provide safe and reliable accommodation.”

“We will carefully consider the ruling and our next actions,” it said.





Source link