Thousands of people return to destroyed Gaza houses after Israel’s ceasefire news of the conflict between Israel and Palestine
In the besieged Gaza Strip, thousands of displaced Palestinians have begun to return to their homes to check the losses, while the Israelis have resumed their normal lives because after 11 days of deadly fighting, a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas was possible. maintain.
Palestinian officials said on Friday that the cost of reconstruction was tens of millions of dollars. Five more bodies were pulled out of the rubble in Gaza, resulting in 248 deaths, including 66 children, and more than 1,900 injured.
The Israeli military said that an Israeli soldier and 12 civilians, including two children, were killed. Hundreds of people were injured after a volley of rockets caused panic and sent people to Tel Aviv for refuge.
World Health Organization spokeswoman Margaret Harris (Margaret Harris) said that medical institutions in Gaza are facing thousands of injuries.
She called for medical supplies and personnel to enter the Gaza Strip immediately.
She said at a virtual UN briefing: “The real challenge is to shut down.”
Gaza has been blocked by Israel for many years, restricting the movement of people and goods, and restrictions by Egypt.
Fabrizio Carboni, the ICRC’s regional director, responded to the WHO’s call for emergency medical supplies, adding: “Reconstruction will take several years, and even more time will be needed to rebuild. Broken life.”
Hundreds of houses were destroyed
Al Jazeera’s Harry Fawcett reported from Gaza that about 1,000 houses were completely destroyed, 700 houses were severely damaged, and 14,000 houses were partially damaged.
“[There is a] In this town and the Gaza Strip, the proportion of each house is about six people or more, that is, more than 80,000 people have lost their houses or suffered serious or partial damage. This is a major disaster for the community. “He says.
Nazmi Dahdouh, 70, the father of five children, said his house in Gaza City was destroyed in an Israeli attack.
“We don’t have another home. I will live in a tent above the ruins of the house until it is rebuilt.” He told AFP.
Malak Mattar, an artist in Gaza City, told Al Jazeera that the ceasefire had brought relief to her family.
“We feel relieved. We are finally able to get a long sleep, which is the sleep we have been deprived of for the past 10 or 11 days, so we feel safe and it is a good thing not to be bombed,” Matar said.
“We are now able to obtain food supplies… Therefore, we feel relieved.”
In occupied East Jerusalem, Israeli police suppressed demonstrators in the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound on Friday, and a similar suppression triggered an escalation of violence two weeks later. The site is sacred to both Muslims and Jews, and they call it the Temple Mount.
The Israeli police said that there were also clashes in several other areas of Israel-occupied East Jerusalem and the border crossing between Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank, adding that hundreds of police officers and border guards had been mobilized.
Al Jazeera’s Hoda Abdel-Hamid reported from occupied East Jerusalem that after the end of the Gaza War, tensions in other places are still increasing.
“There is a ceasefire, but the ceasefire really only involves Gaza. All other issues between the two sides are there.” Abdel-Hamid said.
“Today, people are also celebrating. They are relieved that the Gaza war is over, but tensions still exist.”
Israel and Hamas claim victory
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that the Israeli bombing of Palestinian armed groups killed “over 200” fighters in Gaza, including 25 senior commanders, which he described as “very successful.”
Hamas, the Palestinian organization that occupied the coastal enclaves, also declared “victory.”
Ismail Haniya, the political leader of the movement, promised to rebuild Gaza, saying: “We have dealt a heavy and heavy blow to Israel and will leave a deep mark on Israel.”
He also thanked Iran for “providing funds and weapons” to Hamas.
Several world leaders welcomed the ceasefire agreement. US President Joe Biden stated that he believes there is “a real opportunity for progress” and emphasized his commitment to “work towards this goal.” The European Union insists that moving towards a “two-state solution” is the only viable option. Russia and China call for the resumption of peace talks.
Netanyahu’s office declared a ceasefire on Thursday night “without any preconditions.” Hamas and another armed group in Gaza, the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, shortly confirmed the ceasefire.
Egyptian official media reported that two Egyptian security delegations arrived at the two sides to monitor the ceasefire agreement between the two sides.
The US State Department stated that senior diplomat Antony Blinken will “meet with Israeli, Palestinian and regional counterparts in the coming days to discuss recovery efforts and work together to build a better future for Israelis and Palestinians.”
The head of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, said that Israel and the Palestinians now have a responsibility to engage in “serious dialogue to resolve the root causes of the conflict.”
He also called for “strong support for rapid and sustainable reconstruction and recovery.”