What does NOAA think about the Atlantic hurricane season?

Meteorological experts revealed on May 20 that the Atlantic hurricane season may not be as chaotic as 2020.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration estimates that there will be 13 to 20 named storms.


After Hurricane Sally struck, on September 16, 2020, flooding in Pensacola, FloridaCredit: AP

What does NOAA think about the Atlantic hurricane season?

The agency’s press release stated that NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center “is predicting that the Atlantic hurricane season will once again be above normal.”

According to data released by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NOAA), “Forecasters predict that the probability of a higher than normal season is 60%, the probability of a close to normal season is 30%, and the probability of a lower than normal season is 10%. “

“However, experts do not believe that storm activity in 2020 will reach historical levels.”

According to government agency data, out of 13 to 20 named storms, 6 to 10 may become hurricanes with wind speeds of 74 miles per hour or higher.

Atlantic hurricane season It runs from June 1 to November 30.

Perdido Key, Florida


Perdido Key, Florida, photographed the damage to the house caused by Hurricane SallyCredit: Reuters

Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said: “It’s time for coastal and inland communities to prepare for the possible dangers of hurricanes.”

“NOAA experts are ready to provide communities with life-saving warnings and forecasts, which will also help minimize the economic impact of the storm.”

There are 30 named storms in 2020. Meteorologists have exhausted all the names and have to use Greek letters to identify them.

“Although NOAA scientists don’t expect this season to be as busy as last year, it only takes one storm to destroy a community,” said Ben Friedman, the acting NOAA administrator.

On November 8, 2020, a car drives on a highway with poor visibility in Fort Lauderdale, Florida


On November 8, 2020, a car drives on a highway with poor visibility in Fort Lauderdale, FloridaCredit: AP

“The forecasters of the National Hurricane Center are fully prepared and have made major upgrades to our computer models, emerging observation technologies, and expertise, which can provide the lives we rely on in this hurricane season and every hurricane season. Forecast.”

The head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency urged Americans in hurricane-prone areas to prepare immediately.

Deanne Criswell (Deanne Criswell) said that this includes inland people, because storms have reduced rainfall, and climate change has caused flooding.

Chriswell said: “The hurricane season that began on June 1, now is the time to prepare our communities and improve their resilience.”

“access Ready.gov with Listo.gov Learn and take steps to prepare yourself and your family.

“Download the FEMA app to register for various alerts and access preparation information.

“Purchasing flood insurance can protect your biggest property, which is your house.

“And, please encourage your neighbors, friends and colleagues to also prepare for the upcoming season.”

Source link