We are hiring part-time copy editor/fact checker
Accuracy, rigor and clarity are the core values ??of FiveThirtyEight, and we are looking for people who can share with others. FiveThirtyEight is hiring a part-time copy editor and fact checker to join its copy desk and help ensure that our stories, diagrams, videos and interactive graphics comply with the site’s methodological rigor, clear presentation and reasonable arguments standard. This means that he is a person who pays attention to details, is willing to deal with numbers and is eager to work with FiveThirtyEighters in various departments of the newsroom.
Successful candidates for this position may have a variety of backgrounds and skills-they may be fact checkers, people with traditional information desk work experience, or even college graduates with statistics or coding backgrounds and eager to develop editing and research skills.Candidates should Is not Think they need to check each box listed below to apply.
This position is part-time, with an average of no more than 29 hours per week. As long as you maintain working hours in the Eastern Time Zone, you can continue to work remotely.
- At least two years of fact checking, copy editing or research experience (acceptable to college or graduate school).
- A history of cooperation and friendly work.
- Familiar with spreadsheet software (such as Microsoft Excel) and/or familiar with programming languages ??(such as R or Python).
- Able to use simple mathematical skills to process and check the accuracy of numbers.
- The meticulous details and the curiosity to learn.
- Common sense of American politics or major American sports.
Candidates are available:
- Proficiency in spreadsheet software (such as Microsoft Excel) and/or proficiency in statistical programming languages ??(such as R or Python).
- Have an in-depth understanding of American politics or major American sports.
If you are interested, Please apply here, And attach your resume and cover letter before April 5. Also, if you don’t check all the boxes, that’s okay-we’ll still be happy to hear from you.
Finally, if you have no time or interest in working 29 hours a week, but you have checked many of the check boxes above, we are also looking for freelancers to copy editing and fact checking.For more information, please email [email protected] Use “FREELANCE COPY EDITOR” in the subject line.