New York Carbon Monoxide Detector Laws

New York Carbon Monoxide Detector Laws


New York City, 11/04/2016 /SubmitPressRelease123/

As the weather cools, and people begin turning up the heat indoors, it’s important to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide, especially if you live in an apartment building. In places like New York City, it’s no surprise that the majority of people rent. According to the Wall Street Journal, 64 percent of the NYC population rented as of 2013.

According to the National Conference of State Legislators, over 10,000 people suffer carbon monoxide poisoning every year, and carbon monoxide poisoning kills more than 500 people annually.

Like most states, New York has strict rules regarding ventilation and carbon monoxide detectors. The New York City code requires carbon monoxide detectors in all new and existing one- and two-family homes, hotels, apartment buildings, nursing home, schools, and dormitories. Furthermore, there must be a carbon monoxide detector within 15 feet of the main entrance to every sleeping room. In 2014, New York State lawmakers passed a bill that also requires all restaurants and commercial buildings in the state to install carbon monoxide detectors.

Known as Steve Nelson’s law, the bill was proposed in memory of a Long Island restaurant worker who died when he was exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide due to a defective water heater flue pipe in the restaurant’s basement. The carbon monoxide levels were so high, even some of the emergency personnel who responded to the scene became ill. Under the new law, every commercial building and restaurant in New York must install carbon monoxide detectors by June 2015.

Why Carbon Monoxide Is So Dangerous

Because carbon monoxide is colorless, tasteless, and odorless, it is often called the “silent killer.” The gas is produced any time you burn fuel in small appliances, such as generators, gas grills, fireplaces, gas stoves, and furnaces. Carbon monoxide is also produced in the exhaust of vehicles. Too much of the gas can lead to serious health problems and even death.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, confusion, and vomiting. Carbon monoxide can also cause a person to feel drowsy and eventually fall asleep, which is why it is so dangerous to leave a vehicle running in a garage or other enclosed space.

Many new homes and apartment buildings have a carbon monoxide detection system integrated into the smoke alarm system. If your home or apartment does not have a carbon monoxide detector, you can purchase one (or several, depending on the size of your home) at a variety of stores for under $20. It’s a small investment for something that could very well save your life.

New York Personal Injury Law Firm

If you or a loved one has been injured due to carbon monoxide poisoning in a New York City apartment building, commercial building, or other dwelling or building, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Don’t hesitate to contact a New York City personal injury lawyer.

Call New York City personal injury lawyer, Jonathan C. Reiter, to receive a complimentary case evaluation. You can reach us through our online contact form, or by calling 866-324-9211.

Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC

The Empire State Building

350 5th Avenue #6400

New York, NY 10118

T: (212) 736-0979


Source: Jonathan C. Reiter Law Firm, PLLC


Social Media Tags:Carbon Monoxide Detector Laws, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning, New York Personal Injury Law Firm

Newsroom powered by Online Press Release Distribution –

Like Us on Facebook

More to explorer

Understanding Key Factors in Accidents

Pedestrian Safety Statistics Pedestrian safety is an urgent concern worldwide, with over 1.3 million people dying in traffic accidents annually. Pedestrians account