Two Beacon School Students Burnt in Science Lab Experiment

Two Beacon School Students Burnt in Science Lab Experiment


01/09/2014 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley // (press release)

Manhattan, NY—A student was left with serious burns after a routine lab experiment went wrong at Manhattan’s Beacon School on Thursday, January 2, 2014, the New York Post reported.

The students were reportedly conducting an experiment to see the rainbow of flames that occurs when burning four different types of nitrates in separate crucibles.

A fireball reportedly occurred when the methyl alcohol fumes built up inside chemistry teacher Anna Poole’s classroom.

Alonzo Yanes, 16, was subsequently burnt them the fireball moved across the table and engulfed him.

Witnesses reported seeing his skin melting and scabbed, leaving him with second- and third-degree burns as a result.

Another student, Julia Saltonstall, 16, also suffered burns to her head, neck and arm, but they were less severe.

Responding emergency crews rushed the students to Cornell Medical Center’s burn unit for treatment.

According to the New York Post, a law-enforcement source confirmed that methanol, or methyl alcohol, appears to have caused the experiment to go out of control.

Investigations are underway.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News

More to explorer