California Whistleblower Firm Explains California Qui Tam Statute
03/06/2012 // San Francisco, CA, USA // Whistleblower Law Firm // Jeffrey Keller // (press release)
Lawyers at the California whistleblower firm Keller Grover LLP file false claims lawsuits for their whistleblower clients. These cases may be brought pursuant to the California False Claims Act.
The California False Claims Act imposes liability on a person who has committed fraud on the state or on a political subdivision. Political subdivisions included cities, towns and counties. If a person violates the California False Claims Act, the person is liable to the state or to the political subdivision for three times the damages the person caused. A court will also hold the wrongdoer liable for the costs of the civil suit and impose a civil penalty of $5,000-$10,000 for each violation.
The California False Claims Act imposes liability if, among other activities, a person:
• Knowingly presents a false or fraudulent claim for payment;
• Knowingly makes or uses a false record that is material to a false or fraudulent claim;
• Conspires to commit a violation;
• Has possession, custody, or control of public property and knowingly delivers less than all of that property; or
• Is a beneficiary of an inadvertent submission of a false claim, discovers the falsity, and fails to disclose the false claim within a reasonable time after discovery.
The state relies on citizens to catch such fraud, and a whistleblower client may bring a civil action both for the person and for the state as a “qui tam plaintiff.” For the qui tam plaintiff’s role in bringing the fraud to the government’s attention and aiding in the collection of civil penalties and damages paid to the government, the qui tam plaintiff receives a portion of the government’s recovery. There are also certain provisions that protect the whistleblower from retaliation.
If you believe someone has committed fraud against California or a local government and you would like to discuss your concerns with a qui tam attorney, contact the whistleblower attorneys at Keller Grover LLP at 866.486.1537 or via email at [email protected]
Url: whistleblower lawyers