E-Cigarette Blows Up in Florida Man’s Mouth, Suffers Severe Injuries

02/16/2012 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Niceville, FL — A man is recovering from severe injuries after an electronic cigarette exploded in his mouth Monday night, February 13, 2012. Officials believe a faulty battery inside the device likely caused the accident, reported ABC News.

Tom Holloway, 57, of Niceville, Fla., was smoking the e-cigarette in the study when it exploded, in which his wife likened it to a firecracker going off.

The explosion knocked out all of Holloway’s teeth and part of his tongue, as well as causing a fire in the room.

Officials say a faulty battery is probably the cause of the blast. While the brand of e-cigarette could not be determined, officials say the battery appeared to be rechargeable lithium because there was a recharging station located in the study.

Electronic cigarettes are the newest smoking-cessation device craze, in which the device simulated the act of tobacco smoking through physical sensation, appearance and flavor.

The Food and Drug Administration dose not regulate e-cigarettes.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Florida personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News