Classroom Experiment Injured 4 at Southern Minn. Junior High

12/02/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Maple Grove, MN — Four students were rushed to the hospital, including one student whose face caught on fire, after an experiment went terribly wrong at Maple Grove Junior High, reported CBS Minnesota.

The ninth grade students were conducting a methanol experiment with their teacher, Mr. Matt Achor—as a reward for the class doing so good—when the teach dropped a match in a jug of methanol.

The reaction sparked a fire that injured four students. One student’s shirt, neck, hand and face caught on fire, leaving him with the most serious of injuries. It is unknown if they were injured by the fire or from a chemical burn.

The teacher grabbed a fire blanket and a fire extinguisher in the classroom to put out the fire.

Responding emergency crews rushed the students to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment of burn injuries. All of the students are reportedly in satisfactory condition.

The room where the experiment took place was evacuated and vented. None of the other classrooms were affected.

The fire chief is investigating the experiment mishap.

The uninjured students in the classroom were sent home for the day.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Minnesota personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Address:
Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News

About the Author vision