American Airlines Sued After Passenger Died From Eating In-Flight Meal

12/01/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Miami, FL — The family of a Florida man who died after consumed an in-flight meal aboard an American Airlines flight has sued the air carrier and the catering company, Sky Chefs. The lawsuit was filed last week, by the widow and daughter of Othon Cortes, reported ABC News.

According to reports, Othon Cortes, 73, died after eating a contaminated chicken meal on an American Airlines flight from Barcelona to New York on May 18. The chicken meal was reportedly contaminated with a deadly bacterium known as Clostridium perfingens.

Cortes, who was traveling with his wife Raquel, began to feel sharp stomach cramps, sudden thirst and other “clear outward manifestation of severe physical illness” after landing in New York, reported ABC News. On the second leg of their trip, from New York to Miami, Cortes’ condition worsened and he began suffering from nausea, shortness of breath and “a cardiac event.” The flight made an emergency landing in Norfolk, Va., where he was pronounced dead.

The suit claims that American Airlines and Sky Chefs neglected to properly maintain or prepare Cortes’ meal, and that the air carrier should have never allowed Cortes to board the Miami flight without providing medical attention first.

Sky Chefs is moving to have the lawsuit dismissed, because they claim they did not cater that flight.

The lawsuit is seeking over $1 million in damages.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Florida wrongful death lawyers.

Media Information:

Address:
Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News

About the Author vision