Toxic Fumes Hospitalized 3 Calif. Recycling Center Workers

10/13/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Bakersfield, CA — Three workers were hospitalized Wednesday, October 12, 2011, after being exposed to toxic fumes while at Community Recycle and Resource Recovery Inc. The workers were overcome by the fumes around 11:30 a.m. at the recycling center, located in the 1200 block of North Wheeler Ridge, south of Lamont, reported KERO Bakersfield

According to reports, two men were found at the base of an eight-foot vertical shaft, which is linked to the drainage system. Responding emergency crews used a ladder to reach the bottom of the shaft and placed the unconscious men in a harness to lift them to safety.

Fire crews used air-monitoring equipment and self-contained breathing apparatus’ to safely rescue the workers.

Once the injured workers reached the surface, EMTs began administering CPR until they were rushed to the hospital.

A third man, who was at the surface of the shaft, was also hospitalized for inhalation of the toxic fumes.

Investigations into the work-related accident are underway. It is unknown what created the gases or what exactly they were comprised of.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for California workplace accident lawyers.

Media Information:

Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News