Carbon Monoxide Sickens 17 Exeter Post Office Employees

09/02/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Exeter, NH — Asbestos removal at the Exeter Post Office caused elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the building, sickening seventeen employees Thursday morning, September 1, 2011, reported The Boston Channel.

Responding emergency crews from several departments arrived at the Front Street building and transported several people to area hospitals as a precaution. No serious injuries were reported. But, symptoms of the carbon monoxide exposure included nausea and headaches.

A strange smell was initially reported by employees, which prompted an evacuation as a precaution. But, after being allowed back inside the building, one of the employees alerted the fire department.

When firefighters arrived they detected high levels of carbon monoxide inside the post office. The solvent the contractor was using to abate the asbestos reportedly caused the gas.

The post office remained closed Thursday morning.

According to Wikipedia, carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but, being colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating, it is very difficult for people to detect. Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headaches, vertigo, and flu-like effects; larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and even death.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for New Hampshire personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News