Workers Exposed to Chemical Fumes, 1 Dead in Vacant Chester County, Pa Building

05/09/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Chester County, PA — Four workers were rushed to the hospital, where one was pronounced dead, after they were exposed to a chemical in the cooling system of a vacant building they were hired to clean up. The incident occurred around 10:30 a.m., Saturday, May 7, 2011 at a Valley Hill Road in Charlestown Township, reported Philly.com.

According to officials, 28-year-old Wayne J. Edeline Jr., co-owner of a debris-removal company contracted to work at the facility, and three other workers had been removing mechanical equipment and scrap material at the location for a week prior to the accident.

Edeline and one of the workers, who was identified as his brother, entered the building and headed to the lower level to open the garage door when they were both exposed to chemical fumes. Edeline was overcome by the fumes and collapsed. His brother managed to escape.

Three of the workers attempted to rescue Edeline, but they too were overcome by the fumes and exited the building where they called 911.

Responding emergency crews rushed all four victims to Paoli Memorial Hospital, where Edeline was pronounced dead.

Authorities reported that Edeline’s company was in the process of removing cooling units, which were still pressurized. Apparently several valves on the units were opened, which allowed gases like Freon to escape.

Investigations into the work-related accident are underway.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Pennsylvania work-related accident attorneys.

Media Information:

Address:
Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News