Match.com to Begin Screening for Sex Offenders Following Lawsuit

04/18/2011 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Los Angeles, CA — Just days after a lawsuit was filed by a California woman, who claims she was raped by a man she met on a popular online dating website, Match.com has agreed to begin screening its users against the national sex offender registry, reported the Associated Press.

Mandy Ginsberg, president of Match.com, told The Associated Press in an email that the company had considered such screenings for years, but “their historical unreliability has always led us to conclude against it.”

Ginsberg further stated that after discussions with providers and advisers, they have decided to implement the security feature. “We’ve been advised that a combination of improved technology and an improved database now enables a sufficient degree of accuracy to move forward with this initiative, despite its continued imperfection.”

As previously reported in “Calif. Women Sues Match.com for Attack by Sexual Predator She Met on the Site,” the lawsuit was filed on Wednesday, April 13, 2011, in the Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming her alleged attacker had previously faced sex crime charges and Match.com could have prevented the rape if they would have screened their members. The victim was reportedly attacked in her home by her date, Alan Paul Wurtzel, following their second date at a West Hollywood café last year. The plaintiff alleges that Wurtzel followed her home and forced himself on her. Wurtzel has two felony sexual assault counts that he was charged with last year in Los Angeles. He has pleaded not guilty.

Match.com says the new security measure will be implemented in 60 to 90 days,

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for California personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Address:
Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News