IV Bacterial Outbreak: 9 of 19 Infected Patients at Alabama Hospitals Died
03/30/2011 // Greensboro, NC, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
Montgomery, AL — Nine people who were infected with a bacteria intravenously at six Alabama hospitals have died. A total of 19 patients were infected after the bacteria got into their blood streams through bags that were used for intravenous feedings, state officials reported.
According to CNN reports, the rod-shaped bacteria was identified as serratia marcescens bacteremia. Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are still trying to determine if the nine of 19 patients who were infected actually died as a result of the bacterial infection.
The bacteria was found in bags used in intravenous feeding, which is also known as total parenteral nutrition.
But state officials are clarifying that the product no longer poses a threat to anyone that has not been already been identified. The bags were recalled last Thursday, which were only available through one manufacturer who sold the product to the hospitals. The outbreak was brought to attention on March 16, although it begun in late January, when two hospitals reported usual cases of bacteria in high-risk patients.
The hospitals were in the Birmingham area and were identified as Baptist Princeton, Baptist Shelby, Medical West, Cooper Green Mercy, Select Specialty and Baptist Prattville.
There is no indication that any of the hospitals erred, Dr. Jim McVay director of health promotion and chronic disease with the Alabama Health Department said.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Alabama product liability lawyers.
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News