Science experiment gone wrong injured 3 at Michigan high school

03/08/2011 // Greensboro, NC, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley

Lathrup Village, MI—A science experiment gone wrong injured three Southfield-Lathrup High School students on March 8, 2011. The accident occurred in a science classroom with about 17 students who were participating in an experiment mixing potassium nitrate and sugar, which would be heated to create a smoke bomb, reported The Detroit News.

According to officials, the smoke ignited and sent a plume to the ceiling that left a scorch mark 3 ½ inches around. The explosion also sent burning pieces of debris through the room. Thankfully, the students were wearing safety glasses, which provided them with some protection.

The three injured students reportedly did not sustain any serious injuries. They were transported to Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital for treatment. The other students in the classroom were evaluated at the scene by responding emergency crews.

The classroom was damaged as a result of the blast and the students were dismissed early over concerns of hazardous chemicals.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley– Legal news for Michigan personal injury lawyers.

Media Information:

Address:
Phone: 561-247-1646
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News