01/21/2011 // Greensboro, NC, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
Los Angeles, CA—Ethanol fumes killed one worker and injured two others as they were cleaning blood plasma from a container at an Atwater Village pharmaceutical company. The work-related accident occurred on Friday, January 21, 2011 at Baxter Healthcare, located at 4501 W. Colorado Blvd., just before 4 a.m., as reported by the Los Angeles Times.
According to officials, Los Angeles firefighters arrived at the scene and found two men collapsed inside the container and a third victim outside the container. All three men were unconscious. The fumes prompted rescue crews to dress in protective clothing and use breathing apparatuses. Rescue teams then removed all three men from the container.
One worker reportedly tried to help two unconscious colleagues after he called 911, when he too became overcome by fumes, leaving him dead. The men were using detergent to clean the container of blood plasma at the time. Ethanol is used as a separating agent for blood plasma.
The two other workers were rushed to a nearby hospital where they are apparently in “grave condition.”
Investigations are underway. The identities of the victims are being withheld.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for work-related accident lawyers.
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News