Westland MI Boy, 11, Found Dead After Playing ‘Choking Game’
12/22/2010 // West Palm Beach, FL, US // Sandra Quinlan // Sandra Quinlan
Westland, MI—While countless news articles and broadcasts have brought light to obvious hazards associated with the so-called “choking game,” children around the nation continue to play the dangerous game. On Sunday, Dec. 19, 2010, a sixth grade Michigan boy was found dead in his room after he played the game, as reported by Click on Detroit.
According to Jenny Stine, the mother of 11-year-old Brandon Stine, “I keep thinking it’s a bad dream that I am going to wake up from… Brandon was a smart kid; I never thought he would have done something like this.”
Brandon’s younger brother apparently found him dead in his room on Sunday.
Children and adolescents have been known to play the “choking game” as a means of inducing a brief high. Individuals who play the risky game run the risk of passing out and suffering serious injury or even death by hanging or strangulation.
“If we can save one other family from going through this… I just don’t want another mother to go through this, it’s just senseless,” Jenny Stine added.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Feb. 15, 2008 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), at least 82 died while playing the “choking game” between 1995 and 2008.
The CDC also reported that 87 percent of the victims were boys, and 89 percent were between 11 and 16 years of age.
The MMWR article also noted that most of children who died playing the game, which has also been called “choke out” or “black out,” were alone at the time.
Phone: (866) 598-1315
Url: Sandra Quinlan: West Palm Beach Injury News