Winter Storm Causes over 400 Crashes in Minnesota; Tips for Safe Driving
11/15/2010 // WPB, FL, USA // Personal Injury Lawyers News // Nicole Howley
Minneapolis, MN—Wintery weather is to blame for over 400 automobile crashes in Minnesota over the weekend. By Saturday evening, November 13, 2010, about a foot of snow had fallen in parts of the Twin Cities area, downing trees and leaving people without power at times, as reported by USA Today.
As of 4 p.m., the Minnesota State Patrol responded to 401 vehicle accidents; minor injuries were reported in 45 of the crashes. No immediate reports of fatalities or major injuries were reported.
The St. Paul Police Department had 20 to 30 car accidents by noon, with many of the wrecks involving multiple-vehicles.
In Eden Prairie 11 inches of snow was reported, while 10 inches were reported in the Forest Lake and Mankato areas.
The Weather Channel offered tips for motorists traveling in the winter months:
1. Decrease your speed and leave yourself plenty of room to stop. You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
2. Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock up, ease off the brake.
3. Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists.
4. Keep your lights and windshield clean.
5. Use low gears to keep traction, especially on hills.
6. Don’t use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
7. Be especially careful on bridges, overpasses and infrequently traveled roads, which will freeze first. Even at temperatures above freezing, if the conditions are wet, you might encounter ice in shady areas or on exposed roadways like bridges.
8. Don’t pass snow plows and sanding trucks. The drivers have limited visibility, and you’re likely to find the road in front of them worse than the road behind.
9. Don’t assume your vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel and front-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Minnesota automobile accident lawyers.
Url: West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer News