08/16/2010 // West Palm Beach, FL, USA // Sandra Quinlan // Sandra Quinlan
Sebastian, FL—A customer is demanding answers after she discovered two sleeping pills in a package of ground beef she purchased from a Sebastian-based Walmart Super Center. The incident occurred on Tuesday, August 10, 2010, according to information provided by TCPalm.com.
Reports indicated Arlene Kahn went to a Walmart Super Center in Sebastian around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. After paying for a package of commercially produced ground beef, Kahn went home and began cooking beef stroganoff.
It wasn’t until she prepared the remaining uncooked meet for freezing that she discovered two small pills. The pills were later identified as 25 mg sleep aids.
Kahn subsequently contacted officials from the Sebastian Police Department, who escorted her back to the Walmart store around 6:30 p.m.
Upon speaking with store officials, she was informed that Walmart does not package its own meat. The meat was reportedly imported from a company based in Georgia.
Sebastian police spokesperson Steve Marcinik alleged Walmart officials contacted their packaged meat supplier on Thursday. A report by Sebastian Police Officer Erica Agius also stated William Bales, co-manager of the Walmart Super Center under question, was expected to call the company’s Alarm Central with regard to the incident.
While Walmart officials fully reimbursed Kahn for the purchase of the tainted meat and gave her a $40 gift card, she filed an online complaint with the corporation. “This may be an isolated incident or maybe not… That is my concern,” Kahn said.
Sebastian police apparently held on to the sleeping pills as evidence. Given that nobody was poisoned, however, a criminal investigation was not underway. Walmart is expected to continue its independent investigation into the incident.
Phone: (866) 598-1315