Los Angeles Public Advisory: Angel’s Trumpet plant used to get high by kids

07/09/2010 // WPB, FL, USA // Nicole Howley // Nicole Howley

Los Angeles, CA– A common California plant has been the cause of many hospital visits for numerous high-schools students, who had severe reactions after ingesting the plant. Nearly one dozen teens in the Los Feliz area became sickened after ingesting the Angel’s Trumpet plant to get high, as reported by KTLA.

Los Angeles City leaders are now warning parents and educators about a new and dangerous way teens are trying to get high.

Apparently students take the highly toxic plant, which boasts a beautiful trumpet-like flower, and either chew it or concentrate into a tea-like form. Teens who have ingested the plant usually seem confused, agitated and have a patch discoloration to their skin. Dilated pupils, intense thirst, fever, high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, hallucinations, memory loss, convulsions and paralysis have also been reported as side effects.

Permanent organ damage, coma and even death can result if an overdose of the plant were to occur.

Parents can help stop this highly dangerous activity by cutting back trees and keeping the flower buds out of reach.

According to Wikipedia, “The name Angel’s Trumpet refers to the large, very dramatic, pendulous trumpet-shaped flowers, 14–50 cm to 20 inches long and 10–35 cm across at the wide end. They are white, yellow, pink, orange or red, and have a delicate, attractive scent with light, lemony overtones, most noticeable in early evening. Flowers may be single or double.”

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for California personal injury attorneys.

Media Information:

Address:
Phone: 866-598-1315
Url: http://NicoleHowley.visionsmartnews.com/los-angeles-public-advisory-angels-trumpet-plant-used-to-get-high-by-kids_1276.html