Berkeley CA fire: Faulty switch ignites fire that destroys home, damages others

05/17/2010 // West Palm Beach, Florida, USA // Nicole Howley // Nicole Howley

San Francisco Bay, CA—A faulty light switch sparked a fire that destroyed a Berkeley Hills home and damaged two others. Firefighters rushed to the home at 535 San Luis Road in North Berkeley, just after noon on Thursday, May 13, 2010, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle.

The house fire destroyed the 1,250-square-foot home and also damaged two homes on either side of the house. Thankfully, no one was injured in the blaze. A neighbor reportedly rescued a dog from the back of the burning home.

An investigation by fire officials found that a faulty lamp-switch ignited the fire, which was propelled by papers surrounding the lamp inside the living room of the home.

Nearly 50 Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville and Alameda County firefighters responded to the fire.

The owner of the home where the fire took place was displaced and the neighbors were allowed to return home later Thursday.

The fire reportedly caused $500,000 in structural damage, making it inhabitable. The two other homes sustained at least $100,000 in damage.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for California insurance lawyers.

Media Information:

Phone: 561-653-3266