Unattended candle deemed probable cause in Hollywood, FL house blaze

Unattended candle deemed probable cause in Hollywood, FL house blaze


Legal news for Florida Personal Injury Attorneys. Residential structure fire caused man and woman to suffer burns, smoke inhalation.

Florida personal injury attorney alerts- Structure fire left woman with second degree burns; both suffered smoke inhalation.

Hollywood, FL—An early morning house blaze left a woman with second-degree burns in Hollywood, Florida on Wednesday, January 27, 2010. The inferno was reported at approximately 5 a.m. on the 3200 block of Harrison Street, according to the Sun-Sentinel.

Hollywood-Fire Rescue Department officials were allegedly dispatched to the scene of a residential fire where a woman and man allegedly woke up to the sound of a dog incessantly barking. The pair reportedly suffered smoke inhalation but managed to escape the home. Responding emergency medical services (EMS) personnel transported the woman to Memorial Regional Hospital after suffering smoke inhalation as well as second-degree burns to her hands and face. Medical professionals also allegedly treated the man for smoke inhalation. The residents reportedly claimed that a lit candle was left unattended before they fell asleep, a likely cause in the blaze.

According to information provided by the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA), residential structure fires accounted for about 84 percent of all fire-inflicted fatalities and 81 percent of injuries in 2008. Statistics for 2008 show that 2,780 people were fatally injured in a total of 403,000 residential structure blazes. It was estimated that approximately 399,800 fires break out each year, resulting in 2,995 deaths and 14,600 injuries.

Legal News Reporter: Sandra Quinlan- Legal News for Florida Personal Injury Lawyers.

More to explorer