Legal news for Utah product liability attorneys. Boy sick with E. coli sues National Steak for contaminated beef.
Product liability attorneys alert- Lawsuit was filed after a boy got sick from E. coli bacteria in recalled beef.
Salt Lake City, UT—National Steak Processors, which conducts business as National Steak and Poultry, Inc., has been sued by the parents of a 14-year-old boy who got sick with E. coli bacteria after eating their recalled meat. The lawsuit was filed on Thursday, January 21, 2010, and is asking for unspecified damages, as reported by The Desert News.
The lawsuit, which identified the parent and child as T.H. and C.D. in court documents, alleges the boy became sick after consuming “a contaminated beef product manufactured and distributed” by National Steak in October 2009.” The teen developed “agonizing abdominal cramps and diarrhea that soon turned bloody,” as a result of the bacteria. He was rushed to the hospital where doctors diagnosed him with infectious colitis, after a stool sample tested positive for E. coli. The boy has since recovered but still experiences gastro-intestinal pains, weakness, and other heath issues. The suit maintains that National Steak should be held liable for the boy’s illnesses, because the company failed to provide food that is reasonably safe and free of harmful bacteria; neglected to follow sanitation laws, properly train and supervise workers, and use ingredients, supplies, and materials which would produce safe food.
Last month, the National Steak recalled 248,000 pounds of beef products after they discovered the product might contain the E. coli bacteria. At least 22 people in 16 states reportedly got sick from the contaminated food.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Utah product liability lawyers.