CPSC Alert: Death and injuries prompt Dorel Asia crib recall
Legal news for product liability attorneys. About 635,000 drop side and non-drop side cribs were recalled after an infant died.
Consumer Product Safety Commission alerts Attorneys- Cribs were recalled after children were injured, citing entrapment and strangulation hazards.
Washington, D.C.—Dorel Asia SRL, of Barbados and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have voluntarily recalled Dorel Asia cribs after one infant died, and 10 others were injured. About 635,000 cribs were recalled to replace drop side and non-drop side cribs that pose a suffocation and strangulation hazards to both infants and toddlers, as reported by the CPSC.
The CPSC reported that the drop side hardware could fail, which will cause the drop side to detach from the crib. If the drop side detaches it created a space where a infant or toddler can become trapped and suffocate or be strangled. The cribs can also can entrap and strangle a infant or toddler when a slat is damaged. These hazards can happen when the crib is in use, in storage, being put together, taken apart or reassembled; or during shipping or handling. There has been one report death of 6-month old child from Cedar Rapids, Iowa who became entrapped and strangled in a crib after the drop side hardware broke and died. In total there have been 31 reports of drop side incidents. In six of those incidents, children were trapped between the drop side and crib mattress, posing a serious hazard. Three of the children sustained bruises as a result of the entrapment. There also have been 36 reports slat breakage, including seven reports of bruises and scratches to children and two reports of entrapment, which resulted in no injuries.
The following cribs are involved in the recall:
• WM1633: Drop side 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry
• WM1633-0: Drop side 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry (no castors)
• WM1676BC: Fixed 4-1 Bethany James Crib – Walnut
• WM1676BCR-DC: Fixed 2-1 Crib – Walnut
• WM2163: Fixed 4-1 Crib – Manhattan Walnut
• WM2163DC: Fixed 4-1 Crib – Manhattan Walnut
• WM1633-0-DC: Fixed 3-1 Sleigh Crib (no castors)
• GP004B3EGR: Drop side 3-1 Convertible – Espresso
• GP004B3WGR: Drop side 3-1 Convertible – White
• GP006BCEGR: Drop side Single – Espresso
• GP006BCWGR: Drop side Single – White
• DA1615B3: Drop side 3-1 Convertible Crib – Natural
• DAKM5132: Drop side 3-1 Convertible Crib – White
• DASE5005: Drop side Cottage Hill Single Crib – White
• DASE5009: Drop side Vintage Estate 3-1 Sleigh Crib – Cherry
• DA0504KMC-1N: Drop side 3-1 Heritage Crib – Natural
• DA0504KMC-1W: Drop side 3-1 Heritage Crib – White
• DA1614B3: Drop side 3-1 Lexington Crib – Cherry
• DAKM5152: Drop side Single Jenny Lind Crib – Walnut
• DASE5015: Drop side 3-1 Convertible – Toffee
The cribs were sold at K-Mart, Sears and Wal-Mart stores nationwide from January 2005 through December 2009 for a retail price between $120 and $700. Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the recalled cribs, and find another safe sleeping situation for your child, and then contact Dorel Asia to receive a free replacement kit for your crib. Consumers have been instructed to log on to www.dorel-asia.com to order the free replacement kit. The repair kits are expected to be provided to owners within the next several weeks. For more information call Dorel Asia toll-free at (866) 762-2304 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for product liability lawyers.