Worker exposed to chemical powder at Utah business died

Legal news for Utah employment attorneys. A Saratoga Springs man died after being exposed to selenomethionine.

Employment lawyers alert- A Sabinsa Corp. employee was exposed to a chemical and later went into cardiac arrest at American Fork Hospital.

Provo, UT—A Saratoga Springs man died after being exposed to a chemical, which is believed to be helpful in treating cancer, while at work. Mauricio Lacayo was transported to American Fork Hospital on Tuesday, January 19, 2010 around 1:30 p.m., as reported by the Desert News.

Lacayo apparently opened a bag filled with powder, which exploded into his face when he opened it at Sabinsa Corp. in Payson. When Lacayo began feeling sick, his wife picked him up from work and took him home, where he began vomiting. He was then taken to the Intermountain Healthcare clinic, where he revealed he was exposed to a selenium-based amino acid called selenomethionine. An ambulance then rushed Lacayo to American Fork Hospital for further treatment. Lacayo underwent treatment, but then went into cardiac arrest and died somewhere between 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. that afternoon.

Officials the quarantined all the places Lacayo had gone too, including his home and the clinic, with its employees and patients. Eight employees from the clinic were reportedly underwent decontamination and went to American Fork Hospital for medical clearance. Hazmat crews from Orem, Lehi, and Camp Williams all responded to the scene to assist in the investigations.

Legal News Reporter: Nicole Howley-Legal news for Utah employment lawyers.

About the Author Nicole