Shoreham Elementary School students began the school year two weeks late this year because of the presence of toxic asbestos.
Addison County School officials allow Shoreham Elementary School students return after toxic asbestos materials were found in floor tiles.
Shoreham, VT–Addison County Supervisory Union (ACSU) school officials permitted Shoreham Elementary School students to finally begin their 2009 school year this past week. The postponement of the September 2, 2009 school start date was a result of discovering asbestos and mold in early July. Shoreham Elementary School officials reported the hazardous asbestos materials were found during a routine carpet cleaning this past summer.
Asbestos, a toxic material once commonly used in building materials like floor tiles, walls, ceilings, plumbing fixtures, and insulation, was discovered in floor tiles underneath the school’s carpeting. As required by federal law any time asbestos materials are disturbed a demolition project to abate the asbestos materials is required. Direct and secondary exposure to asbestos materials can cause chronic respiratory illnesses and conditions like asbestosis and also lead to cancers like mesothelioma lung cancer.
Asbestos injury information by legal news reporter Heather L. Ryan.
Heather L. Ryan, R.N., C.L.N.C- Heather Ryan is a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant with 15 years of experience in the health care industry. Her expertise in reviewing medical records and assisting lawyers with the determination as to whether legal action should be taken provides an invaluable asset to the newsroom. Medical-malpractice, products liability, personal injury and workers’ compensation are some of the recent areas of litigation Ms. Ryan has focused her efforts on. A member of the Florida Justice Association, Heather maintains a long list of certifications and credentials to support her areas of expertise and stays up-to-date with her clinical knowledge working as an emergency room/trauma nurse, at a Level 1, Adult/Pediatric trauma and teaching institution in South Florida.