Texas Medical Examiner rules Taser death homicide!

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office ruled the death of a man in Fort Worth police custody a homicide. Michael Jacobs died after suffering two shocks by Fort Worth city issued Taser X26 Conducted Energy Device.Texas wrongful death lawyer alert-Tarrant County Medical Examiner rules the death of a young man after the Fort Worth Police Department used a Taser a homicide.More than four months to the day Michael Patrick Jacobs, Jr. died, after being electrocuted by a Fort Worth Police Department officer in his home, the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office http://www.tarrantcounty.com ruled the death a homicide. According to the Medical Examiner’s press release on Thursday, August 27, 2009, in Fort Worth, Texas, 24 year-old Michael Jacobs died in police custody, on April 18, 2009, after he was shocked twice with a Fort Worth city issued Taser X-26 Conducted Energy Device (CED). The officers electrocuted the known mentally challenged young man with a prolonged shock of 49 seconds as stated in the Public Information Officer’s report, “The first CED deployment was prolonged lasting 49 seconds and the second after an interval of one second, lasted for a duration of 5 seconds.” The report also revealed Jacobs was struck in the anterior neck and mid-chest over the heart with two tethered shocking probes. The young man was found to have no drugs or alcohol in his system nor did he have any under lying health problems.The Jacobs family had dialed 911 on that fateful April day because Michael was causing a disturbance. The mother of the young mentally challenged man had called the Fort Worth Police in the past when Michael would have these episodes because the young man would calm down when the police spoke with him. Unfortunately, the police began struggling with Michael and escalated the situation with the use of excessive force. The family claims they were begging officers to stop hurting the confused young man and continually proclaimed, “You’re going to kill him. Please stop!” The situation ended with Jacobs being Tased excessively, rendered unconscious, and then handcuffed face down possibly obstructing his airway further. He was pronounced dead at 12:00 p.m. at John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.Dallas personal injury lawyer, Brian A. Eberstein, with the Texas personal injury law firm of Eberstein & Witherite experienced in wrongful death claims asserts, “This long overdue autopsy findings plus the report from the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office confirms what we believe happened to this young man all along. Michael Jacobs and his conduct did nothing to warrant the reckless assault and battery of him by Fort Worth Police Department officers which caused his tragic death.” The unnecessary length of time, the Jacobs family endured waiting for the confirmation of the truth, caused them continued pain and suffering. Families calling local Texas law enforcement agencies for assistance have become victims of the very agencies charged with protecting their welfare and safety.Nobel Peace Prize winner for life-saving work, Amnesty International http://www.amnestyusa.org, the largest human rights organization in the world who investigates and exposes human rights abuses, released a study in December 2008 addressing serious concerns about the United States’ Taser death toll which already reached 334. The study is based on Taser deaths involving police departments between June 2001 and August 2008. Phoenix and Las Vegas reports the highest incidence of Taser electrocution deaths at five. Fort Worth Police Department confirms the deaths of 4 people from Taser shocks while in police custody.Texas wrongful death attorney education by legal news reporter Heather L. Ryan.

About Author