No power for 175,000 Michigan residents after storm leaves consumers at risk

Michigan residents were hit with massive power outages after 60mph winter storm. Power outages exposes consumers to carbon monoxide poisoning injuries.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and death. CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. CO poisoning is the leading cause of unintentional poisoning deaths in the United States every year according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) www.cdc.gov. Approximately 450 innocent people die each year from CO and over 15,000 emergency department visits are because of CO injury.

New York, NY (JusticeNewsFlash.com)–Justice carbon dioxide safety advocates say when the power goes out, the risk for poisoning increases. More than 175,000 electric customers in Michigan remained without power on Monday after a storm with 60 mph winds struck over the weekend. Utility workers across the state remain working tirelessly to restore power to residents before night fall. This destructive windstorm has extended a period of power outages across the U.S. Midwest that began a week ago when severe ice storms knocked out power across Indiana, Illinois and Ohio.

JusticeNewsFlash.com (JNF) winter safety experts consulted with the CDC regarding the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning especially during power outages. Below is a list of absolute safety guidelines when heating and cooking in your dwelling when the power is out. The following items can cause a build-up of CO causing injury, poisoning and death:

-Never use a gas range or oven for heating
-Never use a charcoal grill or a B.B.Q. grill indoors.
-Never burn charcoal indoors. Burning charcoal (red, gray, black, white) gives off CO.
-Never use a portable gas camp stove indoors.
-Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage

JNF carbon dioxide safety specialists in New York are urging all Americans to follow the safety guidelines suggested above when cooking and heating during a power outage. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a extremely dangerous because it is odorless and colorless. If you have been poisoned or injured by carbon monoxide because of another persons’ negligence you may be entitled to compensation.

It's only fair to share...Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on FacebookEmail this to someonePrint this page

About the Author Justice Seeker

Heather L. Ryan, R.N., C.L.N.C- Heather Ryan is a Certified Legal Nurse Consultant with 15 years of experience in the health care industry. Her expertise in reviewing medical records and assisting lawyers with the determination as to whether legal action should be taken provides an invaluable asset to the newsroom. Medical-malpractice, products liability, personal injury and workers’ compensation are some of the recent areas of litigation Ms. Ryan has focused her efforts on. A member of the Florida Justice Association, Heather maintains a long list of certifications and credentials to support her areas of expertise and stays up-to-date with her clinical knowledge working as an emergency room/trauma nurse, at a Level 1, Adult/Pediatric trauma and teaching institution in South Florida.