Ottawa, Canada (JusticeNewsFlash.com – Health Report) – Four deaths and many serious illnesses have been linked to the meat produced by the Maple Leaf Company in Canada. A recall was announced about a week ago for two types of cold cuts, but the list has added 220 more products made in the Toronto plant, one of 24 owned by the company. Canadian health officials confirmed the tests that the Listeria monocytogenes bacteria found in some cold cuts made by a Maple Leaf plant in Toronto plant matched the strain, which as recently confirmed 21 cases of listerosis. Listeriosis is a serious infection caused by eating food contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes, which has recently been recognized as an important public health problem in the United States. The disease affects primarily persons of advanced age, pregnant women, newborns, and adults with weakened immune systems. Symptoms of listeriosis include nausea, vomiting, cramps and fever. Another 30 cases are under review, but health officials said on Sunday that no other plants were under investigation.
The complete list of affected products, including individual product codes and best-before dates:
* 26365, Sliced Cooked Turkey Breast, 470 grams, Sept. 30;
* 02106, Schneiders Bavarian Smokies, 1 kilogram, Oct. 28;
* 02126, Schneiders Cheddar Smokies, 1 kilogram, Oct. 28;
* 21333, Sure Slice Roast Beef, 1 kilogram, Sept. 30;
* 21388, Sure Slice Combo Pack, 1 kilogram, Sept. 30;
* 60243, Deli Gourmet Roast Beef slices, 1 kilogram, Sept. 30;
* 02356, Seasoned Cooked Roast Beef, 500 grams, Oct. 7;
* 42706, Roast Beef, Seasoned and Cooked, 500 grams, Oct. 7;
* 21334, Sure Slice Turkey Breast Roast, 1 kilogram, Oct. 14;
* 21444, Sure Slice Corned Beef, 1 kilogram, Oct. 14;
* 44938, Montreal Style Corned Beef, 500 grams, Oct. 14;
* 21440, Sure Slice Black Forest Style Ham, 1 kilogram, Oct. 21;
* 21447, Sure Slice Salami, 1 kilogram, Oct. 21;
* 21331, Sure Slice Smoked Ham, 1 kilogram, Oct. 21;
* 48019, Schneiders Deli Shaved Corned Beef, 200 grams, Oct.
* 48020, Schneiders Deli Shaved Smoked Meat, 200 grams, Oct.21
* 48016, Schneiders Deli Shaved Smoked Ham , 200 grams, Oct.21
* 48018, Schneiders Deli Shaved Smoked Turkey Breast, 150 grams, Oct. 21;
* 48017, Schneiders Deli Shaved Fully Cooked Smoked Honey Ham, 200 grams, Oct. 21;
* 21360, Burns Bites Pepperoni, 500 grams, Jan. 21, 2009;
* 99158, Turkey Breast Roast, 1 kilogram, Sept. 30;
* 71330, Roast Beef Cooked, Seasoned, 2.5 kilograms, Sept. 30;
* 71331 Corned Beef, Smoked Meat, 2.5 kilograms, Sept. 30.
Justice News Flash – Press Release Distribution Service
Jana Simard is a contributing writer for Justice News Flash with degrees in Political Science and Spanish. Born in Canada, but raised in sunny south Florida, Jana had an early passion for writing. During her high school and college years she interned at a Florida Congressman's office as well as a Rhode Island Governor and Senator's office. While in her last two years of college, Jana spent six months in Salamanca, Spain where she truly discovered her passion for writing and had her articles published in her school's newspaper. Her experience in two Providence high profile law firms has equipped her with the ability to write for Justice News Flash as a Legal Reporter.