Pilot program developed for student led schools
07/16/2014 // West Palm Beach, Florida, US // JusticeNewsFlash // Justice News Flash // (press release)
Massachusetts – A new pilot program is being tested in Massachusetts for students that puts them in charge of their curriculum. As reported by Mind/Shift, the program was developed by Sam Levin, a student at Monument Mountain Regional High School in Great Barrington, who was seeking to improve the level of student engagement and mastery in school.
The Independent Project, which was first tried in 2010, involved eight students selected after a review of their applications and interviews.
Guidance counselor Mike Powell is quoted as stating of Levin, “He came up with a plan where the core areas could still be studied, but in a way where students were more of the driving force.”
Powell is further quoted as stating of the process, “There were so many moments where you could see students being inspired… And they learned that with that much control comes a great deal of responsibility, to manage time and be accountable.”
Other public schools have since reportedly attempted to replicate the program.
This report is provided by Justice News Flash – Massachusetts Legal News
Online Justice News Flash Legal News Distribution - JusticeNewsFlash.com
Address: 215 South Olive Suite 300 W. Palm Beach FL 33401
Other News / Press Releases
- Claims of glass crack pipe in Ashley Greene apartment fire false, source says
- ‘Welcome Back Kotter’ actress dies following breast cancer battle
- Pam Bondi requests stay not be lifted in same-sex marriage case
- Video embeds not a copyright violation, EU court says
- FBI arrests man for Gmail nude photo scam
- Russian weed company purchases Ebola.com
- Chuck Norris publicly gives support for Greg Abbott for Texas Governor
- Man gets arrested over ‘wet willy’
- Taylor Swift talks taking a dating pause
- Kendra Wilkinson expresses belief that husband was ‘set up’