Research Suggests a Fourth of Children and Teens With Cerebral Palsy Are in Pain
09/25/2013 // LifeCare123 // Life Care Solutions Group // (press release)
According to researchers, a significant number of children and teens that have cerebral palsy deal with chronic pain that in many cases goes unrecognized and is not treated. The findings of a study that examined 250 individuals with cerebral palsy who range in ages from 3 to 19 show that 1 in 4 struggle with chronic pain that is moderate to severe and proves limiting to their activities.
Due to communication issues and other challenges, obtaining a pain assessment for those with cerebral palsy can be difficult, according to the researchers. Melanie Penner, a developmental pediatrics fellow at the Toronto based Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital who worked on the study, is quoted in a report by Disability Scoop as stating, “This study has underlined the importance of asking every child with CP about their pain levels.”
The research findings have been published in the journal Pediatrics.
As noted by the personal injury help resource The Life Care Solutions Group, cerebral palsy is said to affect an estimated 500,000 people in the U.S. Cerebral palsy is the term used to reference a group of motor conditions that lead to physical disability for those who have the movement disorder. Although the causes of cerebral palsy aren’t known in all of cases, some statistics suggest there are many cases where it could have been prevented if not for negligence on the part of a medical practitioner or someone else.
San Diego cerebral palsy attorneys can help those living in the area that are seeking information about their legal options in cases where medical malpractice may have been a factor in a child’s development of cerebral palsy. The Life Care Solutions Group offers help for individuals with related legal and medical inquiries and can be contacted at any time for a free case review.
Address: San Diego
Url: Lifecare Solutions Group
Other News / Press Releases
- City Bus Hits and Kills East Harlem Man in Manhattan
- Brooklyn Car Wash Worker Killed In ‘Freak Accident’
- Steel Beam Crashes Through Semi-Truck Cab, Kills Driver in Pennington
- Broken Finger, Amputation and Injuries Prompt Britax Stroller Recall
- Cement Truck Slams Into Bronx Residential Building; 1 Dead, 4 Injured
- Loose Tractor-Trailer Rim Causes Accident on NJ Turnpike; 1 Seriously Injured
- Pile-Ups on Pennsylvania Turnpike Sends At Least 30 To Hospitals
- IKEA Junior Beds Recalled For Laceration Hazards By CPSC, Health Canada
- Look Who’s Cookin’ In CT!
- Hot Employment Law Topic: Equal Pay in Texas